Written by Emily Weiss, Sports Information Student Assistant
Angola, Ind. - The Alma College men's and women's cross country teams competed in the MIAA Championship Saturday (Nov. 2); the women placed sixth and the men placed fifth. Senior Aubrey Hemstreet (Kalamazoo, Mich. / Portage Central High School) was selected to the Women's Cross Country All-MIAA Second Team.
How It Happened
- The women placed sixth out of nine teams for the day with an average time of 26:46.7 and a total time of 133:53.1.
- Hemstreet led the women, placing 15th with a time of 24:31.1. Her performance allowed her to be selected for the Women's Cross Country Second Team.
- Freshman Cornelia Gotaas (Alma, Mich. / Alma) followed Hemstreet with a time of 36:59.3 and placing 32nd. Cornelia Gotaas was closely followed by senior Blaire Showers (Ithaca, Mich. / Ithaca) and sophomore Elizabeth Gotaas (Alma, Mich. / Alma).
- The men placed fifth out of eight teams for the day with an average time of 28:24.0 and a total time of 141:59.9.
- Senior Luke Reed (Benzonia, Mich. / Benzie Central) led the men. Reed placed 17th overall and had a time of 27:34.2.
- Senior Jack Montgomery (Mikado, Mich. / Oscoda Area) closely followed Reed with a time of 27.34.9 and placed 18th overall. Junior Karl Stroup (White Lake, Mich. / Lakeland) was next across the finish line, followed by freshman Timothy Carlington (Cadillac, Mich. / Cadillac Senior High School).
He Said It
"We are proud of both teams. It was a tough course that became even tougher with the rain we've had over the past couple of days. We knew we had to throw times out the window going into the race and that's exactly what we did. It was great to watch and our effort was championship-worthy. Looking forward to seeing what we can do with two more weeks of training and regionals on the horizon. It should be fun."
-Head Coach Matt Chovanec
Post-season meets will begin on Saturday, November 16 at 11:00 a.m. at NCAA Regionals. It will take place at the Gainey Athletic Complex in Grand Rapids, Mich. and will be hosted by Calvin College.