Written by Emily Jodway, Sports Information Student Assistant
Shelbyville, Ind. - Members of the Alma College cross country team ran in the NCAA Division III Great Lakes Regionals on Saturday (Nov. 10), hosted by Franklin College at the Blue River Cross Country course. The men took 21st place of 38 teams and the women finished 28th of 33.
- Alma sent seven runners from each team to compete in the race today. The men ran an 8k and averaged a 27:15 race, while the women ran a 6k and had an average race time of 26:01.
- Senior Justin Jones (Cedar Springs, Mich. / Cedar Springs) led the men at the regionals, finishing the race in under 26 minutes and placing 99th overall (26:54.3).
- Junior Luke Reed (Benzonia, Mich. / Benzie Central) finished in 112th place and with a time of 27:01.3.
- The 121st runner to cross the finish line, sophomore Jack Montgomery (Mikado, Mich. / Oscoda Area) had a race time of 27:09.5.
- In 133rd and 166th place, Nathan Idalski (Gaylord, Mich. / Johannesburg-Lewiston) and Karl Stroup (White Lake, Mich. / Lakeland) finished the race with times of 27:17.7 and 27:47.9, respectively.
- For the women, junior Aubrey Hemstreet led the pack with a 105th place finish, crossing the finish line at 24:14.5.
- Senior Blaire Showers (Ithaca, Mich. / Ithaca) ran the race in 25:46.6 and landed in 168th place.
- In 181st place, sophomore Haley Trickey (Millington, Mich. / Millington) finished at 26:16.9.
- Zita Tranquilla (Traverse City, Mich. / Traverse City Central) and senior Mallory Munderloh (St. Louis, Mich. / St. Louis) finished back-to-back at 193rd and 194th place, earning times of 26:51.1 and 26:55.3.
What He Said
"Although the team placing may not show it, we had great efforts on both sides today. Our women overcame some adversity with both sickness and injuries, while our men had a tremendous run with a 53-second spread between the first man and fifth man. In a sense, it is a bittersweet day as we look to the future with great excitement for next season but know it's going to be without some of the people who ran today. I want to thank our seniors for their contributions to our program as they leave it in a very good place going forward. It was a great day to be a Scot!"
- Head Coach Matt Chovanec
The NCAA Division III Championships are held on Saturday, November 17 at the Lake Breeze Golf Course in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.