Written by Emily Jodway, Sports Information Student Assistant
Kalamazoo, Mich. - The Alma College men's and women's cross country teams ran in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association Championship races Saturday (Oct. 27) afternoon in Kalamazoo. The men took fifth place overall, while the women finished eighth as a team.
How It Happened
- Junior Luke Reed (Benzonia, Mich. / Benzie Central) led the men with his 24th-place finish and race time of 26:47.3. He placed eighth overall of all juniors at today's event.
- Jack Montgomery (Mikado, Mich. / Oscoda Area) ran the 8k in 27:21.7, and finished in 40th place- tenth overall for the juniors.
- Senior Justin Jones (Cedar Springs, Mich. / Cedar Springs) had a 45th place finish today, rounding out the top three fastest runners for the Scots. He finished the race in 27:31.1 and was 12th among all juniors.
- Nathan Idalski (Gaylord, Mich. / Johannesburg-Lewiston) was the sixth-fastest runner in the freshman class of the MIAA (27:44.7).
- Leading the Scots again today for the women was freshman Aubrey Hemstreet, who finished 38th with a time of 24:42.7. She was 15th among the juniors.
- Blaire Showers (Ithaca, Mich. / Ithaca) took 58th place, finishing the women's 6k in 25:50.0
- Callie Jones (Mason, Mich. / Mason) was the 12th-fastest runner in the sophomore class, crossing the finish line at 26:03.4 and landing in 66th place overall.
- Hope, Calvin, and Trine were the top three teams from the women's side of today's event, while Calvin, Albion, and Trine claimed the top spots for the men, with Calvin sweeping the top six finishes of the race.
They Said It
"We were proud of the effort our teams gave today. The MIAA is a tough conference and we've got to continue to grow and learn with these experiences in order to become better. We're young, and the good news is we have six of the top seven on the men and five of the top seven on women back next year. However, it's on to the regional where we have one more season goal to accomplish."
- Head Coach Matt Chovanec
The NCAA Division III Great Lakes Regional takes place on Saturday, November 10 in Shelbyville, Indiana. Hosted by Franklin College, the race starts at 11 a.m. at the Blue River Memorial Park.