By Harrison LaLone, Sports Information student assistant
Powell, Ohio - The Alma College cross country team made the 280-mile trip to the NCAA Division III Regional meet on Saturday (Nov. 11), hosted by Ohio Wesleyan University. Senior Hannah Garn (Charlotte, Mich. Charlotte) finished 33rd, earning All-Region recognition, as the women's team placed 13th in the region. The men's team, led by sophomore Jack Montgomery (Mikado, Mich. Oscoda Area), finished 23rd. Both teams improved upon their team finishes for the third year in a row.
- Hannah Garn and fellow senior Chelse Van Spronsen (Jenison, Mich./Jenison) finished 1-2 for the women's team, finishing within 10 seconds of each other.
- While Jack Montgomery led the men, junior Justin Jones (Cedar Springs, Mich./Cedar Springs) and sophomore Luke Reed (Benzonia, Mich./Benzie Central) finished second and third for the Scots. All three finished the 8k in under 28 minutes and within 30 seconds of each other.
- Sophomore Blaire Showers (Ithaca, Mich./Ithaca), junior Mallory Munderloh (St. Louis, Mich./St. Louis), and sophomore Madeline McDonnell (Grosse Pointe, Mich./Grosse Pointe South) rounded out the top five for the women. All three finished under 25 minutes, with McDonnell posting a new personal-best time of 24:59.0.
- Senior Zane Berlanga (Canton, Mich./Plymouth) and freshman Karl Stroup (White Lake, Mich./Lakeland) finished out the top five for the men.
They Said It
"We ended the season on a very positive note for the future. Five of our top seven runners for both teams today return for next year. If we continue to buy into what we are doing and do the work that needs to be done in the off season, we will see this program continue to improve." - Head Coach Matt Chovanec
- Hannah Garn earned All-Region honors for her 33rd-place finish.
- Garn and Van Spronsen have now finished in consecutive places for Alma for the third straight competition.
- Alma had four freshmen compete in the event: Stroup, Hunter Chovanec (Breckenridge, Mich./Breckenridge), Callie Jones (Mason, Mich./Mason), and Brittany Pierce (Leslie, Mich./Leslie).
The NCAA-III Great Lakes Regional meet concludes the 2017 cross country season for the Scots.