By Harrison LaLone, Sports Information student assistant
Lansing, Mich. - The Alma College cross country team resumed action on Friday (Oct. 6) after a week off, competing at the Lansing Community College Invitational. The women's team finished fourth out of 17 schools, while the men placed eighth out of 18 teams, facing competition from every NCAA division.
Senior Chelse Van Spronsen (Jenison, Mich. Jenison) finished fifth overall with a time of 19:06.4, crossing the line within 10 seconds of her personal best in the women's 5k. Senior Zane Berlanga (Canton, Mich. Plymouth) led the way for the men with a top-ten finish.
- The usual lead trio of Van Spronsen, junior Mallory Munderloh (St. Louis, Mich./St. Louis), and senior Hannah Garn (Charlotte, Mich./Charlotte) all finished in the top 10 of the women's race. Munderloh finished within ten seconds of her personal best, along with Van Spronsen.
- Sophomores Jack Montgomery (Mikado, Mich./Oscoda Area) and Luke Reed (Benzonia, Mich./Benzie Central) finished second and third, respectively, for the Scots, with junior Justin Jones (Cedar Springs, Mich./Cedar Springs) not far behind. The three finished within 30 seconds of each other.
They Said It
"We are very pleased with the results today. As a team, we are doing very well with not worrying about factors we can't control. Instead we are going out and becoming better by racing the race. If we continue to do that, the results will take care of themselves." - Head Coach Matt Chovanec
- Jack Montgomery crushed his previous best of 27:41.9 from the Calvin Knight Invitational on Sept. 9. His time of 27:03.1 on Friday was a 38-second improvement.
- Freshman Karl Stroup's (White Lake, Mich./Lakeland) finish Friday marks the third consecutive meet that he has finished in the Scots' top five.
- The women's team outran all the other MIAA schools in competition (Adrian, Albion, Calvin and Olivet), while the men finished second among the MIAA teams behind Albion.
Alma will turn its focus to the Inter-Regional Rumble, hosted by Oberlin College (OH). The meet is scheduled to start at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 14, in Oberlin, Ohio.