Grand Rapids, Mich. –The Alma College volleyball team loss, 3-0, to No. 1 Calvin Saturday (Oct. 27). The Scots finish the regular season with an overall record of 18-7 and in third place in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association with a conference record of 6-2. Calvin ends up with a record of 26-1, and regular season champions of the MIAA with an undefeated 8-0 record.
After setting a career-high in kills last game, freshman middle blocker Bre DeLoye (Okemos, Mich. / Okemos) followed it up with setting a new career-high five kills.
- The first set was a tight contest to start off the match, a service ace by junior outside hitter Georgia Miller (Georgetown, Ky./ Scott County) tied it up at 9 each. The Knights used a 8-0 run to run away with the win of the opening frame
- Alma found itself in an early 5-0 hole to start the second set but fought back with a 6-2 run to get within two. They went on two separate 3-0 runs throughout the second set but were unable to come all the way back.
- The third and final set ended up being the closest thanks in part to the Scot's effort all the way until the final point. After being down, 18-11, Alma chipped away at Calvin's lead. DeLoye had back-to-back kills and freshman outside hitter Sara Majerle (Rockford, Mich. / Rockford) went on a run of three straight kills. The Knights finished it off with a kill by Sarah DeVries.
- Majerle had a team-high 12 kills.
- Sophomore setter Haley Novak (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek) had a team-high 24 assists.
- Senior setter Brianna Zimmer (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant) had a team-high 10 digs.
- Third place is the highest finish in the conference for the volleyball program since 2012.
The Scots will host Adrian College in the first round of the MIAA tournament Tuesday (Oct. 30) at 7 p.m. The winner will head to the semifinals which will be played on Friday (Nov. 2) at Calvin College.