Pittsburgh, Pa. – The Alma College volleyball team loss 3-1 (25-18, 15-25, 19-25, 22-25) to North Park University (IL) and 3-2 (21-25, 31-29, 16-25, 25-16, 10-15) to Arcadia University (Saturday (Oct. 20). The Scots drop to 18-5 on the season.
- The Scots looked fresh to start off the day cruising to an opening set win against North Park. A kill by senior Katie Bush (Lowell, Mich. / Lowell) put the set on ice.
- Alma used a six-point run to take a 10-8 advantage early in the second set. But the Vikings just went a tear scoring 17 of the next 22 points. The set ended on a seven-point run by North Park.
- The Vikings continued their momentum into third opening up a 10-6 lead. The scots looked to chip away and got as close as 17-15 at one point. But the Vikings were too much.
- The fourth and final set was the closest of the match. The Scots fell down early but did not give in, an 11-4 run made it a 21-18 game. A kill from Majerle set up by Novak got the Scots within two at 24-22. But a kill by the Vikings ended the match.
- Alma had to quickly recover from their match with North Park to prepare for Arcadia. A run of five straight points gave the Scots a 10-9 lead in the first set, but the Knights quickly took the lead back and never looked back.
- The second set was highly contested with neither team leading by more than two. The Scots were able to fight off three set points and with the score, 30-29, freshman Haley Ullrich (Elk River, Minn. / Elk River) put it away.
- In third set the Scots were unable to keep up with the Knights, but in fourth it was the opposite. Alma started off to a 4-0 run then had a six-point run to make it 13-5. From there, the Scots were able to fight Arcadia off the rest of the way. A kill by junior Naomi Mason (Kaleva, Mich. / Brethren) sent the match to a deciding set.
- The Knights led the entire fifth set, the Scots were able to win three points in a row while facing match point but Arcadia put it to bed.
- Plenty of Scots had large dig numbers Saturday, Senior Brianna Zimmer (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant) had 28. Senior Brooke Mason (Marshall, Mich. / Marshall) had 27. Junior Georgia Miller (Georgetown, Ky. / Scott County) had 26. Sophomore Bailey Cantrell (Holt, Mich. / Mason) had 24.
- Bush, Miller and Mason all had solid offensive days with 17, 16 and 14 kills respectively.
- As a team, the Scots had more blocks than the Vikings by a total of 8-6.
- Against the Knights, both teams racked up 89 digs each.
Alma looks to get back on the winning track when they head to Northwood University Wednesday (Oct. 24) at 7 p.m.