Adrian, Mich. – The Alma College volleyball team defeat Adrian 3-1 (25-15, 26-28, 25-16, 27-25) on Wednesday (Oct. 10). The Scots now hold a five-game winning streak and have won 11 of their last 12.
Freshman outside hitter Sara Majerle (Rockford, Mich. / Rockford) had a career-high 21 kills and a game-high 25 points. Junior outside hitter Georgia Miller (Georgetown, Ky. / Scott County) recorded a career-high 27 digs in the match. Sophomore setter Haley Novak (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek) kept up her terrific play coming off winning MIAA Specialist of the Week by scoring 51 assists, one off her career-high.
With the victory, Alma is now 15-2 overall and 5-1 in conference. Adrian drops under .500 at 9-10 and 2-3 in the MIAA.
- The first set was for the taking for the Scots, the Bulldogs had nine errors in the opening frame and Alma took advantage. With the score at 11-9, the Scots went on a nine-point streak. Four straight errors by Adrian sealed the deal for the opening set.
- Alma got off to a nice start in the second set. They were up 8-3 but the Bulldogs responded with their own run to tie it up at nine. From there neither team led by more than two points the rest of the set. With the score 24-23, the Scots thought they had the set won, but the point was awarded to the Bulldogs. The Scots fended off two set points before finally succumbing. Novak had 15 assists alone in the second set.
- After a long tight battle in the second, Alma did not lose its form to start the third. The Scots found themselves up 8-2 and kept the tempo going not allowing Adrian to go on any runs of more than two points.
- The fourth set was a back and forth affair the entire way. The Scots were up 21-19 but momentum swung the Bulldogs way as they won four in a row to take a two-point advantage. Alma had to hold off three set points but when given their first attempt at match point, Novak set up Senior middle blocker Katie Bush (Lowell, Mich. / Lowell) and she put it away with the spike.
- Alma scored 59 kills, tied for second highest of the season, they also had a total of 98 digs in the contest, the third highest total of season.
- Freshman Haley Ullrich (Elk River, Minn. / Elk River) was spectacular at the net with nine kills and no errors.
- The third set saw the best offensive performance by the Scots with a .237 hitting percentage.
- This was Alma's first win at Adrian since 2015.
- With 15 wins, the Scots have already tied the highest win total since 2014.
- The only losses of season for Alma so far have come against Nationally-Ranked No.1 Calvin and No. 16 Hope
The Scots head to Franklin, Indiana Saturday for a pair of matches. At 2:00 p.m. they will face Anderson (IN) and then at 4:00 p.m. Alma goes head-to-head with the host Franklin College. They'll return home for a MIAA battle with Olivet on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. in what will be their final regular season home game.