Alma, Mich. - The Alma College volleyball team took care of Saint Mary's 3-0 (25-15, 25-12, 26-24) on Saturday (Oct. 6). The Scots (14-2, 4-1 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association) hit .264 as a team, its highest hit percentage since Sept. 14 against Augustana.
Haley Novak (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek) was arguably Alma's best player on the day. She had 41 assists and nine kills with no errors on 16 attacks (.562 percent). She was also one of four players — all of them Scots — to finish with double-digit points. Sara Majerle (Rockford, Mich. / Rockford) led the team in kills (12) and points (13.0) while Katie Bush (Lowell, Mich. / Lowell) put up 11 kills and Naomi Mason (Kaleva, Mich. / Brethren) had eight and four total blocks.
- Alma took a commanding 10-3 lead in the first set to set the tone of the match. Seven of those 10 points came from kills and one from an ace. It was back-and-forth from then until the end of the set. Alma reeled off four straight points to take a 21-10 lead, but that was followed by a 5-1 run by Saint Mary's that saw Alma commit two errors. After a timeout, the Scots earned the set's final three points off kills from Majerle and Haley Ullrich (Elk River, Minn. / Elk River).
- The second set was much like the first, with the Scots jumping out to a 6-1 lead that ballooned to 16-6. The Belles put up little resistance during the set, ultimately falling 25-12. Saint Mary's had as many kills as errors in the set and Alma put up 17 kills, an easy route to a second-set win.
- The Belles came to play in the third set. Alma never had a lead greater than three points and, in fact, trailed by three at one point. Up 11-9, the Scots conceded five points during an 8-2 run to go down 17-13 but found three straight kills to force a Saint Mary's timeout. The Belles continued to stay the course, however, and took a 24-22 lead, but called its second timeout after a kill by Majerle that brought the Scots to within one. Saint Mary's must've known what was coming — the next and final three points were all scored by the Scots: Majerle's 12th kill to tie the game, Novak's first and only ace to give Alma a 25-24 lead, and an error by the Belles to end the match.
- Brianna Zimmer (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant) and Georgia Miller (Georgetown, Ky. / Scott County) led the team with 19 digs, each.
- Bre DeLoye (Okemos, Mich. / Okemos) recorded her first kill since Sept. 1 against North Central.
- Naomi Mason's hit percentage (.278) was her highest since Sept. 1 against Beloit. Haley Ullrich's hit percentage (.313) was the highest in her last six matches.
- In the three sets, Alma had kill totals of 17, 17, and 19.
Alma travels to Adrian to face the Bulldogs on Wednesday, Oct. 10. The match is set to start at 6:30 p.m.