Albion, Mich. - The Alma College volleyball team defeated Albion 3-2 (25-23, 23-25, 14-25, 25-16, 15-9) on Tuesday (Oct. 2). The Scots stay perfect against non-nationally ranked opponents
Sara Majerle (Rockford, Mich. / Rockford) posted career-highs in kills (19) and digs (28). She also added two block assists and led all players with 23 points. Katie Bush (Lowell, Mich. / Lowell) and Haley Ullrich (Elk River, Minn. / Elk River) came in with 12 kills, each. For Ullrich, it matched her career-high. She also had a career-high six digs. Bush, who is second in the MIAA in blocks, had three block assists.
Both Alma and Albion now have 3-1 MIAA records and trail 3-0 Calvin in the conference standings. Alma is 13-2 overall, losing only to Calvin and Hope this year. Albion is 10-6 after the loss.
- The first set was tightly contested; Alma's biggest lead was four. Up 21-20, the Scots gave up three straight points to Albion before regrouping and tying the score at 23 off two Georgia Miller (Georgetown, Ky. / Scott County) kills. Two Briton errors gave Alma the first set win.
- In the second set, Alma held a 7-5 lead but fell behind after a 9-0 Albion run. The Scots slowly climbed back in to eventually tie the game at 21 but ended up being held off by the Britons 25-23.
- Albion kept its momentum in the third set, jumping out to a 10-2 lead. Alma struggled both offensively and defensively - it had a match-low seven kills and eight total errors. Albion also had a match-high 15 kills.
- Alma rebounded in the fourth set, taking it 25-16. It built a gradual lead over the course of the game, topping out at 23-13. The Scots hit .333 in the set, the best of any set by either team.
- The fifth and deciding set was tight with both teams trading points until it was tied at eight and Alma began to break the set open. The Scots scored seven of the game's final eight points behind Majerle and Bush and were aided by two Albion errors.
- Twenty-three points is a career-high for Majerle. Her previous career-high was 17.
- Alma ended the match hitting .174 in the fifth set. Conversely, Albion hit .045 in the deciding set.
- Georgia Miller had 23 digs in the match, two off her season-high.
- Haley Novak (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek) relished as Alma's main setter in the long match, racking up 50 assists, two off her career-high.
- Alma had 15-kill sets twice, in the second and third.
The Scots host Saint Mary's College on Saturday (Oct. 6) at 3:00 p.m. at Art Smith Arena.