Holland, Mich. - The Alma College volleyball team fell to No. 13 Hope College 3-0 (22-25, 19-25, 20-25) on Wednesday (Sept. 18) to open play in the MIAA. It is just Alma's second loss of the year; it previously lost to No. 1 Calvin.
Senior Katie Bush (Lowell, Mich. / Lowell) led the Scots (10-2, 0-1 MIAA) in kills with eight and hit percentage with .333. Sophomore Haley Novak (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek) had a team-high 26 assists and 16 digs. Freshman Sara Majerle (Rockford, Mich. / Rockford) put up seven kills and 14 digs.
Hope's (11-1, 1-0 MIAA) Katie Reitberg led all players with 15 kills on a .243 hit percentage. Vanessa Reynhout had 12 and hit .375.
How It Happened
- The Scots took an early 7-3 lead in the first set, forcing Hope to take a timeout. The Flying Dutch fought back into the set and tied the score at 11. The two teams battled for the lead until Hope scored three straight points to make it 22-19. It maintained its three-point lead to eventually take the set 25-22.
- Alma started slowly in the second set, falling behind 6-2 before calling a timeout. Hope remained in control, extending its lead to as many as nine at 18-9. Alma climbed back to within four with a 7-2 run, but Hope was too close to the finish and scored three of the next four points to win the set.
- The third set was close throughout - neither team had more than a three-point lead until the end of the game. Alma led 8-5 before Hope found some momentum with an 8-2 run to go up 13-10. It was back-and-forth from there; when one team scored, the other would tie. This went on for nine straight points. With each team six points away from a third-set win, Hope scored three straight points to go up 22-19. Junior Georgia Miller (Georgetown, Ky. / Scott County) tried to stop the bleeding with a kill, but the Flying Dutch had two more kills and a gifted point from Alma to secure the win.
- Alma hit .119 as a team. Hope hit. 215.
- The Flying Dutch made 11 errors in the first set. Alma had the same number in the second set, taking away from a team-high 13 kills.
- Hope posted 20 kills in the third game and hit .395. Alma did little to help the Flying Dutch with two errors.
- Alma struggled to keep the ball in play, hitting .051 and .044 in the first two sets.
- Half of Katie Bush's kills came in the first set
- Sara Majerle had six of her seven kills in the second set.
- Katie Bush hits .357 per game, third best in the MIAA. She also blocks 1.05 attacks per set, second in the conference.
- Majerle is second in the league in digs per set with 4.41.
- Haley Novak averages 8.68 assists per set, second in the MIAA.
Alma hosts Kalamazoo in its home opener on Saturday (Sept. 22) at 1:00 p.m.