Beloit, Wisc. - The Alma College volleyball team ended the Buc Blast Tournament at Beloit College with four wins, having defeated Beloit and North Central (Minn.) both by scores of 3-0 on Saturday (Sept. 1).
Sophomore Haley Novak (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek) impacted nearly every aspect of the game and was one of six players named to the All-Tournament team. On Saturday, she led the Scots with 16 kills and a kill percentage of .467 over Saturday's games. She also had a team-high 29 assists and added 14 digs.
Senior Brianna Zimmer (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant) did just as much setting against North Central, tallying 10 assists to go along with seven digs; she also had 10 digs in the earlier game against Beloit. Junior Naomi Mason (Kaleva, Mich. / Brethren) led Alma with six kills in game one, hitting .500 percent. Senior Katie Bush (Lowell, Mich. / Lowell) put up 10 kills and a team-high six blocks.
How It Happened
- Beloit struggled to keep the ball in play the entire game, racking up 28 errors. Alma's closest set win was the third, which it took 25-20. The Scots trailed 3-4 early in the set and eventually had to rally from down 9-16. Alma went on a 16-4 run, including scoring ten of the match's final 11 points. Zimmer began the rally with three points sandwiched around a Georgia Miller (Georgetown, Ky. / Scott County) ace, of which she had three in the game.
- The game against North Central was much of the same - Alma's closest win was the first set at 25-18 and it won the last two sets 25-10.
- Alma trailed early in the first set but quickly found its footing with a 10-3 run. It scored the set's final four points to take a 1-0 lead. In the second set, North Central's first eight points of the second set all came on Alma errors; the Rams had only one kill in the set. The third set saw the Scots score nine straight points as part of a 13-1 run.
- Alma hit .263 as a team against North Central, including hitting .364 in the third set with just two errors.
- Haley Novak set the tone on the attack she had five kills and no errors in game one and 11 kills and two errors in game two.
- Ashtyn Snyder (Shepherd, Mich. / Shepherd) set a career high with eight digs against North Central.
What She Said
"The girls have been working extremely hard through the preseason to put the pieces together and I am happy with their efforts this weekend!"
"There is always room to grow, but this tournament gave us some much-needed confidence to push us forward into next weekend."
"Though we may still be 'young' overall, we have more depth than we've had in seasons past, which is allowing us to play with different lineups, and ultimately develop which ones put us in the best position to be successful."
- Head Coach Alex Leja
Alma has another tournament next weekend, the MIAA Preview Tournament on Friday (Sept. 7) and Saturday (Sept. 8). It will play Calvin at 3 p.m. and Olivet at 5 p.m. on day one and Trine at 1 p.m. and Saint Mary's at 3 p.m. on day two.