Grand Rapids, Mich. - The Alma College volleyball team fell 3-0 (22-25, 20-25, 22-25) to No. 4 Calvin College on Tuesday evening.
Alma is now 6-13 overall and 3-8 in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association while Calvin improves to 20-3 and 12-0.
- Alma was down 20-15 in the first set before scoring six of the next seven points to tie the game at 21. However, the Knights would close the set on a 4-1 run.
- The second set was also close until Calvin pulled away at the end. Alma had three one-point leads in the middle of the set but runs of 6-1 and 4-1 allowed Calvin to take a 2-0 lead in the game.
- The Scots held a 16-10 lead the in third set thanks, in part, to nine Calvin errors. Alma made its lead 19-16 after kills by Haley Novak (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek) and Georgia Miller (Georgetown, Ky. / Scott Country). The Knights, however, would close the set on a 9-3 run.
- Kara Muxlow (Brown City, Mich. / Brown City) led the team, for the fourth time this season, with nine kills. She also posted a game-high kill percentage of .421.
- Muxlow tied her career-high with three solo blocks.
- Novak posted 16 assists and 11 digs. She is averaging 12.7 assists per game this season and 14.8 assists in October (five games).
Alma hosts Hope College on Friday, Oct. 20, at 6:30 p.m. The Scots lost to Hope when the Flying Dutch were ranked No. 20 in Division III earlier this season. Hope is currently receiving votes in the Top-25 Poll.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director, (989) 463-7436