Alma, Mich. - The Alma College volleyball team defeated Kalamazoo College 3-1 on Wednesday (Oct. 11) evening. It is the second time the Scots have triumphed over Kalamazoo this season, the earlier being a 3-0 win.
Kara Muxlow (Brown City, Mich. / Brown City) led the team in kills with 10, while Dakota Pelach (Gaylord, Mich. / Gaylord), Haley Novak (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek) and Georgia Miller (Georgetown, Ky. / Scott Country) added eight apiece. Miller and Brooke Mason (Marshall, Mich. / Marshall) led the way in digs with 13 and Pelach posted 21 assists for the third time this season.
The Scots are now 6-12 overall and 3-7 in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association, while Kalamazoo falls to 5-14 and 2-9.
- The first set was tightly contested; there were 13 ties until Alma pulled away at the end. Up 20-19, the Scots scored the final five points to earn the win. Novak had four kills in the set, tied for the most of any player in any set.
- Alma won set two 25-16 behind multiple runs. Five straight points brought the team from down 5-4 to up 9-5. Later, a 10-3 run extended Alma's lead to 20-11. The Scots won the last five points thanks to kills by Pelach and Katie Bush (Lowell, Mich. / Lowell) as well as three Hornet errors.
- Kalamazoo took the third set 25-21. Down 19-16, Alma scored three straight points to tie the game, but the Hornets would score six of the next eight points to win their only set of the match.
- Alma responded by winning the fourth and final set 25-14 behind two 8-2 runs. Muxlow and Miller had three kills, each, in the set. Alma's final three points all came off service aces from Mason.
- Muxlow led the team in kills for the third time this season. Ten kills is also one off her career-high, set earlier this year at Carthage.
- Mason's three aces ties her career-high which she set in the first game of the season against Wooster.
- Pelach tallied a career-high four aces, three of which came in the fourth set.
- Pelach's 21 assists are two off her season-high, which she set at Kalamazoo earlier this year.
- Alma hit .241 in the first set, the highest of either team in any set.
- Following the match, Miller is ninth in the conference in digs with 272 and eighth in digs per set with 4.18.
The Scots have six days before their next game. They will travel to Calvin to face the Knights on Tuesday, Oct. 17, at 6:30 p.m. Calvin is No. 6 in Division III as of Wednesday night. The American Volleyball Coaches Association updates its national polls every Tuesday.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director, (989) 463-7436