Albion, Mich. - The Alma College women's tennis team defeated Albion College 6-3 on Monday (April 1) afternoon. The win is Alma's eighth straight, ninth overall and second conference victory this year.
The Scots are currently tied atop the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association standings with a 2-0 record along with Hope and Saint Mary's (IN).
How It Happened
- Abigail Davenport (Downers Grove, Ill. / Downers Grove South) won arguably the most competitive match of the day, a three-set win over Marceline Redick. It was the first three-set match for the Scots in their last three competitions.
- Brooke Butterfield (Portland, Mich. / Portland) fell to Lauren Solano 6-1, 6-4, her first loss in her last five matches.
- Caroline Ross (Sandusky, Mich. / Sandusky) and Emily McDonald (Wheeler, Mich. / Bullock Creek High School) each had competitive first sets, but convincingly took the second set of their matches, 6-1.
- Lucy McCarthy (Rockford, Mich. / Rockford) didn't drop a game in her first set against Saige Jost and stayed tough in a 7-5 win in the second set.
- All three doubles matches were close. Butterfield and Davenport earned Alma's closest win, 8-6 over Solano and Kathryn Valade.
- Bernadette Garibay (Lansing, Mich. / Grand Ledge) & McDonald forced a tiebreaker against Jost and Namara Swillum but ultimately fell 7-3.
The Scots will travel to Calvin on Wednesday (April 3) for a match beginning at 4:00 p.m. The Knights will open their conference season on Tuesday at Hope.
- Lauren Solano def. Brooke Butterfield 6-1, 6-4
- Abigail Davenport def. Marceline Redick 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
- Caroline Ross def. Kathryn Valade 6-4, 6-1
- Lucy McCarthy def. Saige Jost 6-0, 7-5
- Madeline Samra def. Bernadette Garibay 1-6, 6-4, 2-6
- Emily McDonald def. Namara Swillum 7-5, 6-1