Alma, Mich. - The Alma College women's tennis team defeated Olivet College 7-2 in its Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) opener on Friday (March 29) afternoon.
The win is Alma's seventh straight and eighth overall in 11 matches this season. Olivet drops to 2-9 and 0-2 in the MIAA.
How It Happened
- Caroline Ross (Sandusky, Mich. / Sandusky) earned the only sweep of the day for the Scots, a 6-0, 6-0 win over Sydney Weller.
- Brooke Butterfield (Portland, Mich. / Portland) beat Miranda Pier 6-1, 6-4. Abigail Davenport (Downers Grove, Ill. / Downers Grove South) handled Rae Claramunt 6-1 in their first game and put her away 7-5 in a tough second game.
- Butterfield and Davenport teamed up to defeat Pier and Claramunt 8-2 in doubles play. Ross and Lucy McCarthy (Rockford, Mich. / Rockford) took down Keely Cruz and Jordan Ellens 8-3.
Alma continues conference play with a trip to Albion College on Monday (April 1). The match is scheduled to begin at 4:00 p.m.
- Brooke Butterfield def. Miranda Pier 6-1, 6-4
- Abigail Davenport def. Rae Claramunt 6-1, 7-5
- Caroline Ross def. Sydney Weller 6-0, 6-0
- Lucy McCarthy def. Keely Cruz 6-4, 6-0
- Bernadette Garibay def. Emily Foulk 6-3, 6-3
- Jordan Ellens def. Emily McDonald 10-7