Battle Creek, Mich. - The Alma College women's tennis team had no problem with Manchester University (IN) on Friday (March 8) afternoon, defeating the Spartans 8-1.
How It Happened
- Brooke Butterfield (Portland, Mich. / Portland) took the only loss of the day for the Scots (5-3); she fell to Karly Eichenauer 4-6, 6-2, 4-10 in the first match of singles competition.
- Over the next five singles matches, Alma dropped just three games. Abigail Davenport (Downers Grove, Ill. / Downers Grove South) defeated Chelsea Brettnacher 6-1, 6-1, and Caroline Ross (Sandusky, Mich. / Sandusky) beat Kaitlyn Burger 6-1, 6-0. Lucy McCarthy (Rockford, Mich. / Rockford), Bernadette Garibay (Lansing, Mich. / Grand Ledge) and Emily McDonald (Wheeler, Mich. / Bullock Creek High School) each swept their Manchester opponents.
- In doubles competition, Butterfield and Davenport played the tightest match, overcoming Eichenauer and Brettnacher 8-5.
- McCarthy and Ross handled Burger & Morgan Brazo 8-1, and Garibay and McDonald beat Maddie Russow & Gwen Fourman 8-2.
Alma remains on the road for its next match against Muskingum University (OH). It will face the Fighting Muskies in East Lansing starting at 2:00 p.m.
- Brooke Butterfield vs. Karly Eichenauer (4-6, 6-2, 4-10)
- Abigail Davenport vs. Chelsea Brettnacher (6-1, 6-1)
- Caroline Ross vs. Kaitlyn Burger (6-1, 6-0)
- Lucy McCarthy vs. Morgan Brazo (6-0, 6-0)
- Bernadette Garibay vs. Maddie Russow (6-0, 6-0)
- Emily McDonald vs. Vanessa Mahmoud (6-0, 6-0)