Defiance, Ohio - The Alma College women's tennis team defeated Defiance College 5-4 on Monday (Jan. 25).
After dropping the first three singles matches, the Scots (4-3) took the last three and easily won two of three doubles matches to earn the win over the Yellow Jackets.
How It Happened
- Brooke Butterfield (Portland, Mich. / Portland) and Abigail Davenport (Downers Grove, Ill. / Downers Grove South) both fell in tight 7-6 (4), 6-3 matches to start the day.
- Caroline Ross (Sandusky, Mich. / Sandusky) and Bernadette Garibay (Lansing, Mich. / Grand Ledge) both swept their opponents and Emily McDonald (Wheeler, Mich. / Bullock Creek High School) outlasted Alex St. Julian 7-5, 6-1.
- The team of Lucy McCarthy (Rockford, Mich. / Rockford) & Ross took care of Chelsea Braunwart & Sydney Huston, 8-1. Garibay and Hannan Hakim (Elkhart, Ind. / Elkhart Memorial) swept Rylea Amspaugh and St. Julian in the decisive match.
The Scots return to action on Saturday, March 9 against Manchester. The match will take place in Battle Creek and will begin at 10:00 a.m.
- Brooke Butterfield vs. Hannah Hesterman (6-7 , 3-6)
- Abigail Davenport vs. A.J. Breneman (3-6, 6-7 )
- Hannan Hakim vs. Cayla Walker (3-6, 1-6)
- Caroline Ross vs. Sydney Huston (6-0, 6-0)
- Bernadette Garibay vs. Rylea Amspaugh (6-0, 6-0)
- Emily McDonald vs. Alexa St. Julian (7-5, 6-1)