Warsaw, Ind. - The Alma College women's tennis team eked out a 5-4 win over Franklin College on Saturday (Feb. 23), coming from behind with wins in the final two doubles matches.
How It Happened
- Brooke Butterfield (Portland, Mich. / Portland) and Abigail Davenport (Downers Grove, Ill. / Downers Grove South) began the day with wins over Holyn Eldridge and Maddie Bright, respectively. Both matches went into a tiebreaking third set, two of three three-set matches on the day.
- Caroline Ross (Sandusky, Mich. / Sandusky) had a pair of 6-2 set wins over Grace Otte and Lucy McCarthy's (Rockford, Mich. / Rockford) match against Brianna Hutton went deep into the tiebreaking set, but McCarthy fell 13-11. The Scots and Grizzlies were tied entering doubles play.
- Alma fell behind after the first doubles match, with Butterfield and Davenport falling 8-4 to the team of Eldridge and Alexa Schofner. But the Scots responded in the next two matches, with Ross and McCarthy defeating Bright and Otte 8-5 and Hannan Hakim (Elkhart, Ind. / Elkhart Memorial) and Bernadette Garibay (Lansing, Mich. / Grand Ledge) topping Hutton and Maddie Pifer 8-4.
The Scots travel to the University of St. Francis on Sunday (Feb. 24) for a match starting at 1:30 p.m.
1. Brooke Butterfield vs. Holyn Eldridge (7-6 , 4-6, 10-8)
2. Abigail Davenport vs. Maddie Bright (6-4, 4-6, 10-3)
3. Hannan Hakim vs. Alexa Schofner (6-2, 6-2)
4. Caroline Ross vs. Grace Otte (6-2, 6-2)
5. Lucy McCarthy vs. Brianna Hutton (6-1, 0-6, 13-11)
6. Bernadette Garibay vs. Maddie Pifer (7-5, 1-0 retire)
1. Brooke Butterfield & Abigail Davenport vs. Holyn Eldridge & Alexa Schofner (4-8)
2. Caroline Ross & Lucy McCarthy vs. Maddie Bright & Grace Otte (8-5)
3. Hannan Hakim & Bernadette Garibay vs. Brianna Hutton & Maddie Pifer (8-4)