Defiance, Ohio- The Alma College women's tennis team posted a 6-3 win over Defiance College on Tuesday (Feb. 27).
Alma took points in two of the three doubles matches and were 4-2 in singles. The Scots move to 3-5 overall, with two wins over their four Spring Break competitions, to match their win total from the 2017 campaign.
How It Happened
- Alma picked up the first point to get the match started with an 8-1 victory in No. 3 doubles by Amy Wood (Grand Rapids, Mich./City High Middle School) and Bernadette Garibay (Lansing, Mich./Grand Ledge).
- After Brooke Butterfield (Portland, Mich./Portland) and Lucy McCarthy (Rockford, Mich./Rockford) were defeated by Defiance's Hannah Hesterman and Cayla Walker 8-6 to tie the match 1-1, the Scots came back with a 9-7 win in the No. 2 slot by Caroline Ross (Sandusky, Mich./Sandusky) and Matilda Ennis (Glenside, Mich./Phil-Mont Christian Academy).
- Bernadette Garibay grabbed the first point for the Scots in the singles competition, defeating Cheyanne Bultman 6-0, 6-1 in the No. 6 singles spot.
- Alma took the score to 4-1 when Lucy McCarthy earned a 6-1, 6-0 victory at No. 4 singles.
- The Yellow Jackets took two points when they earned back-to-back victories at No. 3 and 1 singles, making it a close 4-3 match in favor of Alma.
- The Scots secured the victory with the next two points. Amy Wood won her match at No. 5 singles, defeating Sydney Huston 6-1, 6-1, while Caroline Ross won in a match tie-breaker match at No. 2 singles 6-2, 4-6, 10-8.
- Amy Wood remains perfect at No. 4 and 5 singles, with six wins total this season.
- Caroline Ross picked up her first singles win today, at No. 2.
Alma will remain idle until Sunday, March 11, when it hosts Lake Superior State University for a non-conference matchup beginning at 9 a.m.