Alma, Mich. - The Alma College women's tennis team dropped an 8-1 decision to Spring Arbor University on Tuesday (Feb. 13) in the Scots' home opener at the Stone Recreation Center.
Spring Arbor (6-5 overall) swept the doubles matches and took five of the six singles competitions to secure the win.
Senior Amy Wood (Grand Rapids, Mich./City) captured the only point for Alma (1-2), winning her match at No. 5 singles in a match tiebreaker, 10-4.
How It Happened
- Alma was swept in the doubles matches, giving Spring Arbor a 3-0 lead to open the match.
- The Cougars scored convincing wins in five singles matches to secure the match.
- At No. 5 singles, Amy Wood took the opening set over Jewell Allen, 6-3, before Allen responded to tie the match with a 6-2 triumph in the second set. The match was settled in a tiebreaker, with Wood outscoring Allen, 10-4, to take the point.
- Alma was swept in doubles for the first time this season.
- The Scots also dropped matches at No. 4 and No. 6 singles for the first time this year.
- Amy Wood is 3-0 this season, matching her win total from 11 matches a year ago.
The Scots will travel to Grand Rapids, Mich., on Friday, Feb. 16, to take on Cornerstone University. The match is scheduled for a 7 p.m. start.