Albion, Mich. - The Alma College women's tennis team scored a 6-3 victory over rival Albion College on Saturday (Feb. 3) as the two teams played a non-conference match at Albion's Ungrodt Tennis Center.
The Scots (1-1 overall) won two of the three doubles matches to take a 2-1 lead.
In singles competition, freshman Brooke Butterfield (Portland, Mich./Portland)) won her first career match with a 7-6 (7-5), 1-6, 10-5 victory at No. 1 singles. Alma captured points at No. 4, 5, and 6 singles for the second straight match while Albion was victorious at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots.
The Scots and Britons will meet again on Saturday, March 31, to open up the MIAA portion of Alma's schedule.
How It Happened
- The team of Caroline Ross and Jessica Penhale defeated Marceline Redick and Madelyn Polich at No. 2 doubles, 9-7, while Amy Wood and Bernadette Garibay posted an 8-6 win at No. 3 doubles over the team of Kirstin Moore and Christina Rafaill.
- Brooke Butterfield gave Alma a big point with her win at No. 1 singles. Butterfield took the first set off Albion's Olivia Conover with a 7-5 win in the tiebreaker, then after falling in the second set by a 6-1 margin, won the match tiebreak with a score of 10-5.
- Albion won the matches at No. 2 and No. 3 singles.
- Jessica Penhale posted a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Christina Rafael at No. 4 singles, while Amy Wood was a 6-2, 6-4 winner over Bella Scalise at No. 5 singles.
- In the No. 6 singles match, Bernadette Garibay won by a 6-1, 6-4, margin over Kirstin Moore.
- Alma is a combined 6-0 at the No. 4, 5 and 6 singles positions.
- Brooke Butterfield's win at No. 1 singles was her first individual victory as a Scot.
- Jessica Penhale, Amy Wood, and Bernadette Garibay have each opened the season with 2-0 records.
- Garibay has matched her win total from six appearances during the 2017 season.
- The doubles team of Amy Wood and Bernadette Garibay is now 2-0.
The Scots will face the College of Wooster (Ohio) on Saturday, Feb. 10, in a non-conference match. The Scots and Fighting Scots will open their competition at 2 p.m. at the MSU Tennis Center in East Lansing, Mich.