Niles, Mich. - The Alma College women's tennis team dropped a 5-4 decision to Holy Cross College (IN) on Friday (Feb. 2) as the Scots opened the 2018 campaign.
Alma (0-1 overall) trailed by a 2-1 margin after the doubles matches, winning at No. 3 doubles, before grabbing points at No. 4, 5 and 6 singles.
Holy Cross (1-6) swept the top three singles spots to secure its first win of the season.
How It Happened
- The team of Amy Wood and Bernadette Garibay picked up Alma's only point in doubles competition, blanking the team of Val Danielli, 8-0, at No. 3 doubles.
- Caroline Ross and Jessica Penhale played a close match against Marissa Jaggi and Sydney O'Connor at No. 2 doubles, but fell by a score of 9-7.
- In singles action, Penhale swept O'Connor, 6-0, 6-0, at the No. 3 spot.
- Wood posted a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 5 singles, while at No. 6 singles, Garibay defeated Sofia Lopez by a 6-1, 6-2 margin.
- Jessica Penhale's win at No. 4 singles was her first career win at that flight.
- Amy Wood picked up her first career victory at No. 5 singles after going 0-4 last season.
The Scots travel to Albion, Mich., on Saturday, Feb. 3, to face Albion College in a non-conference matchup. Opening serve is scheduled for 9 a.m. at the Ungrodt Tennis Center on the campus of Albion College.