Alma, Mich. – The Alma College women's soccer team fell to Hope College, 2-0, in the final game of the 2018 season Wednesday (Oct. 24). The Scots finish with a record of 2-13-1 while the Flying Dutch are 13-1-2 and head into the postseason as the MIAA regular season champions.
Sophomore goalkeeper Ally Wentworth (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant) had 10 saves in the loss. It was the fourth time this season Wentworth had double digit saves.
- Before the match started, Alma honored its 2018 senior class of defenders Tori Sailar (Hastings, Mich. / Lansing Catholic), Emily Esser (Jackson, Mich. / Jackson), Annie Burns (Sanford, Mich. / Meridian) midfielders Lexi Moyer (Suttons Bay, Mich. / Traverse City West), Melissa Gal (Bartlett, Ill. / Bartlett), Madi Ferry (Bloomfield Hills, Mich. / Bloomfield Hills), Kali Rhines (Grand Rapids, Mich. / Forest Hills Central) and forward Kristina Berzkalns (Byron Center, Mich. / Grandville).
- The Scots held tight with the top team in the conference for much of the first half. The Flying Dutch had a total of 11 shots in the opening 45 minutes and one went in when Hillary Curry's shot was blocked and she picked it up to put up and over Wentworth.
- Alma continued to provide great defense into the second half as the Flying Dutch continued their attack. They broke through again when Abbey Przekop setup Audrey White.
- For the final 25 minutes of the game, the Scots kept Hope at bay.
- Wentworth ended up with 99 saves on the season. That currently leads all keepers in the conference. The sophomore started every single game for the Scots this season.
- Moyer, sophomore forward Lauren Sollestre (Farmington Hills, Mich. / Marian) and freshman forward Meghan Pfile (South Lyon, Mich. / South Lyon) ended up tied as the leading goal scorers for the season. Moyer ended up with the most points.
- Ferry and Berzkalns had the two shots for Alma in the match.