Alma, Mich. - The Alma College women's soccer team fell to Franklin College 2-1 in dramatic fashion on Saturday (Sept. 22) afternoon. The Grizzlies' Rachel Hawkins scored the game-winning goal at 89:04.
Freshman defender Ashley Oldham (Gilbert, Ariz. / Chandler Basha) scored her first-career goal in the game. Sophomore Ally Wentworth (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant) made two saves on four shots faced.
How it Happened
- Franklin's Maddie Fleet scored her sixth goal of the season in the 16th minute of the game to give the Grizzlies a 1-0 lead.
- Ashley Oldham put one in the back of the net to tie the game at one in the 39th minute. The goal came off an assist from Lexi Moyer (Suttons Bay, Mich. / Traverse City West).
- Freshman Isabella Wingate (Canton, Mich. / Canton) had a fantastic chance to score in the 60th minute, but her rocket of a shot hit the crossbar.
- Hawkins's goal in the 90th minute was a bit of a chip shot. She lofted the ball to the top corner of the back post, forcing Wentworth to backpedal to make the save. She got a hand on it, but not enough to make the save.
- Alma outplayed the Grizzlies in the box score. The Scots took 16 shots to Franklin's 10, only two of which came in the second half. Alma also had six corner kicks; Franklin had one.
- Lexi Moyer's assist was her second of the year. She leads the team in that category.
- Isabella Wingate had a game-high six shots, though none were on goal.
- In addition to her goal, Ashley Oldham was given a yellow card in the 69th minute.
What She Said
That's the name of the game sometimes, you can play really well and still lose. It's coming. We will keep the faith and continue to work. You either win or you learn, as a staff, we couldn't have asked for a better performance from the team."
- Head Coach Meghan Gorsuch
The Scots wrap up a three-game homestand with its first conference game of the season. It will host Trine University on Wednesday, Sept. 26 at 4:00 p.m. at Scotland Yard.