Alma, Mich. - The Alma College women's soccer team dropped its home opener 1-0 to Adrian College on Wednesday (Sept. 19). Sophomore goalkeeper Ally Wentworth (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant) made a career-high 13 saves in the loss, eight more than her previous career-high.
Alma is now 2-5 on the year while Adrian moves to 3-4-1.
The Bulldogs were on the attack for most of the game, outshooting Alma 21-5. McKenna Maroney scored the only goal of the game in the 39th minute. She leads the Bulldogs with three goals on the year.
- Ally Wentworth is third in the MIAA in save percentage at .805 percent. She is also fourth in total saves with 33.
- Lauren Sollestre (Farmington Hills, Mich. / Marian) took a team-high two shots, both on goal.
- Adrian took 13 corner kicks in the game.
- The fouls were nearly even - Alma had eight to Adrian's seven.
What She Said
"It was great opportunity to finally be home for a game and Adrian is always a high-level match for us. They certainly showcased some talent tonight, but as a group, our intensity and desire in the attacking third must be more consistent. We've been having troubles with starting the game on a good note and we need our players to showcase more personality and decisiveness. Our goalkeeper came up huge on multiple occasions and we are happy with our defensive organization, however, we must have better cohesion as a whole for Saturday's match and beyond."
- Head Coach Meghan Gorsuch
Alma continues its homestand with a game against Franklin College (Ind.) on Saturday (Sept. 22) at 2:30 p.m.