Written by Mason Ippel, Sports Information Student Assistant
Alma, Mich. - The Alma College wrestling team hosted Manchester University Friday night (Feb. 7) for their final home event of the year. The Scots handled the Spartans 34-18.
- Austin Wieczorek (Kentwood, Mich. / East Kentwood) got the night started with a win by decision 4-1. The first period ended scorelessly and Wieczorek chose bottom to start the second. He gained one point for stalling on his opponent and then escaped 20 seconds later. The East Kentwood native got a takedown with 23 seconds left in the period to extend his lead.
- Trent Lashuay (Saint Johns, Mich. / Saint Johns) received a win by forfeit.
- Carter Hankins (Hartland, Mich. / Hartland) kept the momentum going with a win by pinfall 1:43 into the match.
- Zachary Cooper (Chippewa Hills, Mich. / Whitehall) got the win by forfeit to extend the lead to 21-0.
- Matt Tomsett (Madison Heights, Mich. / Lamphere) would wrestle his way to an entertaining win by decision 6-4. He started the first period out strong with a few takedowns but allowed two quick escapes. His opponent would choose to start on the bottom to start period two and got a reversal seven seconds in. Tomsett would escape a minute later. He would get another escape in the third period after starting on bottom.
- Jayce Kuehnlein (St. Louis, Mich. / St. Louis) dominated his opponent in a win by technical fall 16-0 in 4:50. He took his opponent down with 53 seconds left and would get two four-point near falls in the last minute. Kuehnlein chose to start the second period on the bottom. He got a reversal 22 seconds in and would get another four-point near fall with 13 seconds left in the period to finish it.
- All-MIAA wrestler Lucas Brewer (Belleville, Mich. / Huron) continued the dominance of the Spartans with another win by technical fall 15-0. It started right off the bat when he got a takedown nine seconds into the match. He would get two four-point near falls in the last 30 seconds to go up 10-0 at the end of the first period. Brewer chose bottom to start the second period and got a quick escape 15 seconds in. A takedown with 52 seconds left and a two-point near fall 10 seconds later gave Brewer the victory. This extended the Scots lead to 34-0.
The Alma College wrestling team will head to Wabash College for the Mid-State Championships next Saturday (Jan. 15). They will then make the quick trip down to Adrian College for the NCAA Division III Central Regional. The season finale will be in Cedar Springs, Iowa where the wrestlers who qualify will go to the NCAA Division III National Tournament.