Crawfordsville, Ind. – After day one of the NCAA Division III Central Regional, the Alma College wrestling team currently stands in eighth place out of 19 schools competing. Juniors Brendan Ladd (Ortonville, Mich. / Brandon) and Zachary Cooper (Chippewa Hills, Mich. / Whitehall) both went 2-0 and are still in the winner's bracket of their weight classes. Sophomore Austin Fox (Fort Worth, Texas / Timber Creek) and freshman Dylan Seaton (Port Huron, Mich. / Port Huron Northern) went 2-1 and are still in contention in the consolation bracket. The wrestlers who take first, second and third place in their class will qualify for the National Championships.
How It Happened
- Ladd started the regional with a 11-2 major decision win. He followed it up with a pin in the quarterfinals. After taking the first two points of the match, Ladd earned the pin fall at the 2:35 mark of the first period.
- Cooper won his opening match by technical fall with the score 16-1 after just one minute and 13 seconds after the start. In his quarterfinal bout, the junior dominated early with a takedown and two near falls to be up 8-1 after the first period. 40 seconds into the second, Cooper earned the pin to advance to the semifinal round.
- At 184 pounds, Seaton won his first bout of the day by a score of 13-8. He then fell in the quarterfinals, but kept his national chances alive with a win by pin fall in round two of the consolation bracket.
- Fox had a similar day to Seaton's with an early win by pin fall in the second period to move on to the quarterfinals. The sophomore run on the winner's sided ended in the quarterfinals but he finished off the day victorious with another pin late in the first period.
- Freshman Jayce Kuehnlein (St. Louis, Mich. / St. Louis) earned two wins on the day, one by forfeit in the preliminary round, and then one in the first consolation round where he won by an 8-2 decision. Kuehnlein's day ended with a loss, eliminating him from the competition.
- Ladd and Cooper are one win away from securing a place in the Nationals, while Seaton and Fox will both have to go 3-0 to earn third place and keep their seasons alive.
The second and final day of the Central Regional will begin at 10:00 a.m. from Wabash College.