Angola, Ind. – The Alma College wrestling team loss, 21-18, to Trine University (IN) on Thursday (Feb. 7). The dual was the Scots final of the season. They finish the 2018-2019 campaign with 3-4 overall record and 1-2 in the MIAA.
- The match started with back-to-back forfeits by each team. Sophomore Austin Wieczorek (Kentwood, Mich. / East Kentwood) earned the win for the Scots in the 125 lb weight class.
- Action got underway at the 141 with the score tied, 6-6. Junior Brendan Ladd (Ortonville, Mich. / Brandon) got off to early lead, 4-1, after the first period. Fast forward to the third with the score tied a four a piece, Ladd earn a near fall to take a 6-4 advantage. The junior held on the rest of the way to win, 7-6.
- Junior Isaac Nave (Onaway, Mich. / Onaway Area) was up next and he dominated early leading 6-1 in the second. Nave then took down his opponent to lead 8-2 and coasted to a 9-2 victory.
- Alma kept its run going with freshman Jayce Kuehnlein (St. Louis, Mich. / St. Louis). Kuehnlein led 6-2 in the third where he had a near takedown. The freshman ended up taking the bout, 8-4.
- After back-to-back wins by the Thunder, Alma's lead was cut 15-12. Freshman Dylan Seaton (Port Huron, Mich. / Port Huron Northern) was able to keep the Scots in the lead when he earned an escape and take down in the second to be on top 6-3 after the second. Seaton would take the win, 6-4.
- The Thunder would tie up the dual with a pin in the 197 lb class, setting up a dual deciding match between the heavyweights. Freshman Jacob Ransom (Traverse City, Mich. / Traverse City West) represented the Scots in the bout. The freshman trailed 2-0 in the third where he was able to get a hold of his opponent on the mat. But Ransom could not score. The Thunder wrestler escaped Ransom's grasp and was able to run out the clock the rest of the way.
- Wieczorek and Ladd went 3-0 against MIAA opponents this season automatically qualifying them as All-MIAA.
- The Scots finished the year in a tie for second in the conference with Trine and Adrian College.
- One exhibition bout took place before the varsity match began. Sophomore Dalton Miller (Seymour, Ind. / Seymour) won, 6-4.
Alma hosts the Mid-State Championships on Saturday (Feb. 9). The action is scheduled to start at 9 a.m. inside Art Smith Arena.