Alma, Mich. – Alma College wrestling hosted its annual tournament, the Alma Open, in Art Smith Arena Saturday (Jan. 19). The Scots had seven wrestlers place in their weight classes in a tournament where no team scores were recorded.
- Senior Victor Sosa (Wilmington, N.C. / Eugene Ashley) got back on the mat in competition for the first time in over two months. Sosa won three of his first four bouts on the day as he took home sixth place at the 125.
- For the first time this season sophomore Jacob Smith (New Bern, N.C. / New Bern) placed in a tournament. After losing his first match, the sophomore won two in a row and won his fifth-place match to finish off the day.
- A trio of Scots won two times on their way to placing fifth in their weight classes. The trio included sophomores Erik Arnegard (Waterford, Mich. / Waterford Mott) and Austin Popp (Clinton, Mich. / Clinton) as well as freshman Dylan Seaton (Port Huron, Mich. / Port Huron Northern).
- Sophomore Gus Richter (Durand, Mich. / Durand) had the highest finish for the Scots at fourth. After entering the day 0-4 on the season, Richter started his day strong with a win by pin fall in the first period. Richter followed that up later with another pin.
- The Scots had the third most match points amongst the 18 teams that participated. Only nationally-ranked Olivet College and Div. 1 Michigan State had more.
- Alma tied for the third most pins with six.
- Overall as a team, the Scots had a record of 25-24 for this year's Open.
The Wrestling team now looks ahead to next weekend where they'll head to Wheaton College in Illinois for the Pete Willson Invitational. The two-day tournament begins Friday (Jan. 25) at 11 a.m.