Naperville, Ill.– The Alma College wrestling team placed sixth at the North Central College Invitational Saturday (Dec. 8). Junior Brendan Ladd (Ortonville, Mich. / Brandon) took first place in the 141 lb weight class. Sophomore Austin Wieczorek (Kentwood, Mich. / East Kentwood) was the other Scot to place at the tournament.
- The Cardinals Invite featured four teams ranked in the top 25 of the Div. III rankings. The Scots ended up finishing ahead of the No. 5 ranked team in the country, Wabash College (IN).
- Ladd went 4-0 on the day to his first-place finish. He won by tech fall, major decision and two pins including a pin two minutes and 25 seconds into the first-place match.
- Wieczorek took home sixth in the 125 lb class. After losing in his first match, the sophomore reeled off three straight wins.
- Sophomore Dalton Miller made his career debut in the 285 lb weight class. Miler lost a tight decision, 6-3, in the consolation round.
- 10 Scots won at least one match at the tournament. Ladd, Wieczorek, freshmen Lucas Brewer (Belleville, Mich. / Huron) and Dylan Seaton (Port Huron, Mich. / Port Huron) as well as junior Isaac Nave (Onaway, Mich. / Onaway Area) all won multiple times.
- One of Seaton's losses came against the No. 8 ranked wrestler in the 184 lb weight class.
- Ladd is now on a 12-bout winning-streak.
Alma has almost a month off for the holiday break. The Scots are back in action at the Waynesburg Invitational on Saturday, January 5th. They will have their first home competition on Thursday, January 10th.