Grand Rapids, Mich. –The Alma College wrestling team kicked off their 2018-2019 season with a victory Thursday (Nov. 1) over Davenport University, 21-16. The dual came down to the heavyweight class with the Scots leading, 18-16, freshman Jacob Ransom (Traverse City, Mich. / Traverse City West) won by a 4-0 decision to earn the three points and seal the win.
- The first match ended up being the closest of the night. Senior Victor Sosa (Wilmington, N.C. / Eugene Ashley) fell in overtime, 9-7.
- After falling down 6-0 early, Alma went on a run of three straight wins. Juniors Brendan Ladd (Ortonville, Mic. / Brandon) in a decision and Zachary Cooper (Chippewa Hills, Mich. / Whitehall) with a pin started it off. Then freshman Jayce Kuehnlein (St. Louis, Mich. / St. Louis) gave the Scots their first lead of the night with a pin in his collegiate debut.
- Davenport went on a run then of three straight victories of their own, Sophomore Joe Vondrasek (Owosso, Mich. Owosso) (7-5) and freshman Dylan Seaton (Port Huron, Mich. / Port Huron Northern) (14-10) both battled tough with their opponents.
- With Alma down, 16-15, sophomore Austin Fox (Fort Worth, Texas / Timber Creek) earned an important 9-3 decision to give the Scots the lead heading into the final match of the dual. Ransom earned two points late in the first period and then earned two more in the second. In the third Ransom held off his opponent and held him to the mat in the final moments to make Alma 1-0 on the season.
- Ladd went head-to-head with Jordan Ringler in the 141 lb weight class. The two met in last year's dual with Ladd coming out as well the previous time.
- Freshmen earned nine of Alma's 21 points tonight in their first action in collegiate wrestling.
- This was Alma's first win versus Davenport since 2015, making it the first win against the Panthers with head coach Jeremiah Tobias under the helm.
The Scots head to the Muskegon Community College Invite on Saturday (Nov. 3) for a 9 a.m. start time.