By Harrison LaLone, Sports Information student assistant
Alma, Mich. - The Alma College wrestling team hosted its first dual meet of the season on Saturday (Jan. 6). The Scots fell just short of besting the visiting Thunder of Trine University (IN), falling by a final score of 24-21. The Scots opened the meet with three straight victories by major decision, followed by a technical fall victory for sophomore Jake Anderson (Rochester Hills, Mich./Rochester Adams).
The match was decided in the heavyweight bout, where Trine's Zach Saylor scored a 2-1 decision over freshman Austin Popp (Clinton, Mich./Clinton).
- At 141 pounds, sophomore Brendan Ladd (Ortonville, Mich./Brandon) rebounded off his loss in the dual with Wisconsin-Eau Claire with a strong 14-2 major decision over Caleb Maddox. Ladd was rated the third-best wrestler in the latest D3Wrestle.com poll with his season record now sitting at 26-4.
- The Scots took two major decisions leading up to Ladd's 141-pound bout, one by freshman Austin Wieczorek (Kentwood, Mich./East Kentwood) and one by freshman Chase Beecher (Clio, Mich./Clio). Wieczorek took an 11-2 score over Clinton Wells, while Beecher boasted a 13-1 victory over Davynn Schneider.
- Jake Anderson posted the strongest Scot performance of the night, scoring a technical fall over Efrain Amezquita in just five minutes.
- Freshman Joe Vondrasek (Owosso, Mich./Owosso) continued the Scots' momentum, scoring another victory by major decision in the 165-pound class over Brandon Minear.
- The Scots fell just short of the team victory as the score was even at 21-21 entering the 285-pound bout between Austin Popp and Trine's Zach Saylor. Popp scored the first point of the match in the second period, escaping from Saylor after starting down. An unfortunate penalty, accompanied by Saylor's escape to start the third period, led to the Scots coming up just short in the meet.
They Said It
"Our lighter weights really performed well. The freshmen are really stepping up [in a] developing year for us. The technical things are getting better, and the mental things are improving as well. It was a good showing for our guys." - Head Coach Jeremiah Tobias
- Wieczorek's bout with Clinton Wells was a rematch from the Ohio Northern Invitational on Dec. 2, where he claimed victory over Wells in a 6-4 decision.
- Anderson's victory by technical fall was his first victory in this fashion this season.
- The 165-pound bout victory for Vondrasek snapped an eight-match losing streak.
The Scots travel to Olivet College to face the 24th-ranked Comets on Thursday, Jan. 11, for their next dual meet. Olivet features the eighth-ranked wrestler in the nation in the 165-pound class, per the latest D3Wrestle.com poll. Action begins in Olivet at 7:00 p.m.
RESULTS - Trine 24, Alma 21
- 125 - Austin Wieczorek (Alma) major decision Clinton Wells (Trine), 11-2 (Alma 4, Trine 0)
- 133 - Chase Beecher (Alma) major decision Davynn Schneider (Trine), 13-1 (Alma 8, Trine 0)
- 141 - No. 3 Brendan Ladd (Alma) major decision Caleb Maddox (Trine), 14-2 (Alma 12, Trine 0)
- 149 - Jake Anderson (Alma) technical fall Efrain Amezquita (Trine), 16-1, 5:00 (Alma 17, Trine 0)
- 157 - Riley Rasler (Trine) technical fall Gus Richter (Alma), 21-6, 2:31 (Alma 17, Trine 5)
- 165 - Joe Vondrasek (Alma) major decision Brandon Minear (Trine), 15-6 (Alma 21, Trine 5)
- 174 - Jacob Taylor (Trine) pinned Erik Arnegard (Alma), 1:02 (Alma 21, Trine 11)
- 184 - Austin Farrell (Trine) major decision Wesley Barnes (Alma), 13-5 (Alma 21, Trine 15)
- 197 - Anthony Neal (Trine) wins via forfeit. (Alma 21, Trine 21)
- 285 - Zach Saylor (Trine) decision Austin Popp (Alma), 2-1 (Trine 24, Alma 21)