(Photo credit: Mike Dickie/Adrian College Athletics)
Adrian, Mich. - Participating in the first home wrestling match on the Adrian College campus in 31 years, the 13th-ranked Alma College wrestling team defeated Adrian College, 27-11, in front of a packed house at the Merrilat Sport and Fitness Center.
The Bulldogs sponsored wrestling from 1959-1984 and restarted the program in July. The Scots are in their fifth year of wrestling after restarting the program in the 2011-12 campaign. Previously, Alma College had sponsored wrestling from 1969-1984.
Alma won the first bout of the evening at 125 pounds when junior Victor Sosa-Sevilla (Wilmington, N.C./Eugene Ashley) scored a 7-1 decision over Brandon Harris, then the Bulldogs responded with a major decision in the 133-pound weight class, with Joe Dombrowski defeating freshman Anthony Pizzo (Madison Heights, Mich./Clawson).
The Scots took the lead for good in the dual in the next match when freshman Romeo Riley pinned Aaron Ward 6:29 into the match to put Alma up 9-4. Adrian's Ty Jasman defeated junior Anthony Lesko (Tecumseh, Mich./Tecumseh) at 149 pounds, but the Scots went on to triumph in five of the final six weight classes to take the victory.
The most notable match of the evening took place at 197 pounds, where senior Jamie Jakes (Dearborn, Mich./Divine Child), ranked fifth in the nation, took on Adrian's Angus Arthur, who was ranked ninth. Arthur pulled out the victory with a 5-3 decision, despite Jakes not surrendering an offensive point.
The junior varsity wrestlers will compete this weekend in the Muskegon Community College Quad on Saturday, Jan. 16, while the next action for the varsity team will be on Thursday, Jan. 21, when the Scots visit Olivet College for a 7:00 p.m. dual with the Comets.
• Alma is ranked 13th in the latest NWCA Coaches Poll.
• Victor Sosa-Sevilla is now 10-13 at 125 pounds this season.
• Romeo Riley improved to 16-7 at 141 pounds.
• Anthony Lesko made his season varsity debut at 149 pounds, wrestling near his hometown of Tecumseh.
• Shawn Brewer snapped a three-match losing streak and is now 16-4 at 157 pounds.
• Taylor McPhail won his 11th match in a row and is a perfect 5-0 since moving back to the 165-pound weight class after the holiday break. Overall, McPhail is 16-5.
• Travis Heller, ranked sixth in the country at 174 pounds, improved his record to 20-4 with his second technical fall of the season.
• Trent Hullet is now 16-6 at 184 pounds and has won three straight.
• Trevor Maresh, ranked third in the nation at 285 pounds, has now won four straight and owns a 14-2 record.
125: Victor Sosa (ALM) over Brandon Harris (ADR) (7 – 1 Dec) (3 – 0)
133: Joe Dombrowski (ADR) over Anthony Pizzo (ALM) (16 – 7 MD) (3 – 4)
141: Romeo Riley (ALM) over Aaron Ward (ADR) (FALL 6:29) (9 – 4)
149: Ty Jasman (ADR) over Anthony Lesko (ALM) (9 – 0 MD) (9 – 8)
157: Shawn Brewer (ALM) over Connor McDill (ADR) (5 – 3 Dec, Overtime) (12 – 8)
165: Taylor McPhail (ALM) over Donny Mandell (ADR) (15 – 5 MD) (16 – 8)
174: Travis Heller (ALM) over Zach Reynolds (ADR) (19 – 5 TF, 5: 23) (21 – 8)
184: Trent Hullett (ALM) over James Davis (ADR) (10 – 5 Dec) (24 – 8)
197: Angus Arthur (ADR) over James Jakes (ALM) (5 – 3 Dec) (24 – 11)
285: Trevor Maresh (ALM) over Josh Colegrove (ADR) (4 – 0 Dec) (27 – 11)
Head Coach Todd Hibbs
"We showed up tonight with an attitude. It's the second half of the season and the dual meet season among the MIAA schools and we came out and wrestled the meanest we have wrestled all year. If you were in the gym, you saw the physicality of our presence, and it was a great thing to watch. We need to maintain that momentum."