Alma, Mich. - The Alma College women's lacrosse team dropped a 20-8 decision to Cleary University on Sunday (March 24) afternoon. Alma is now 3-3 on the season while Cleary improves to 6-4.
Goalie Allie Ray (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y. / Comsewogue) made 22 saves in the game and Olivia Benoit (Grosse Pointe, Mich. / Grosse Pointe North) scored four goals. Kennedy Hilley (Lake Odessa, Mich. / Lakewood) added two goals and Tori Basso (Lake Orion, Mich. / Lake Orion) and Kalyn Thompson each posted one.
Cleary's Jordan Bloch led all players with five goals; Hana Barnett added four.
How It Happened
- Hilley started the scoring with a goal just over a minute into the game. The Cougars would score the next four goals to take a 4-1 lead.
- Benoit scored Alma's next two goals to pull the Scots back to within one goal with 15 minutes remaining in the half.
- Cleary would go on to score three goals in a 36-second span to go up 7-3. Thompson scored the Scots' last goal of the half with 4:32 remaining, but Cleary came back with two more goals to go into the break with a 9-4 lead.
- The Cougars scored two quick goals to begin the second half, then scored two more after a six-minute drought.
- Benoit factored on three straight Alma goals, scoring the first on a free position attempt, assisting on Basso's goal after a Cleary player received a green card, and scoring an unassisted goal to cut the deficit to six, 13-7.
- Cleary would score the next four goals to go up by 10. After Hilley scored her second goal of the game, the Cougars scored the game's final three goals.
- Allie Ray's 22 saves are the third most in program history. Ray owns five of the top six single-game save records in program history.
- Ray is second on the program's all-time saves list with 435 in three seasons.
- Ray also picked up a game-high six ground balls.
- The Scots were 9-for-9 on clears in the second half.
- Three Cleary players were given cards, all coming in the second half.
Alma hosts Adrian College on Wednesday (March 27) at 7:00 p.m.