Waynesburg, Pa. - The Alma College women's lacrosse team ran away with a 15-3 win over Waynesburg University (PA) on Thursday (Feb. 28) evening.
Olivia Benoit (Grosse Pointe, Mich. / Grosse Pointe North) scored four goals on six shots and tallied a game-high seven draw controls for the Scots (2-1). Courtney Hartnagle (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek) scored three times and MacKenzie Chevalier (Fraser, Mich. / International Academy of Macomb), Kennedy Hilley (Lake Odessa, Mich. / Lakewood) and Kalyn Thompson (Jackson, Mich. / Hanover Horton) each scored twice. Allie Ray (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y. / Comsewogue) made seven saves in the game.
Breanna Martini had two goals for Waynesburg (0-2), Jackie Adler had the other.
How It Happened
- Alma came out firing from the start, outshooting the Yellow Jackets 19-4 in the first half. Thompson scored her first career goal four minutes into the game to begin the scoring.
- Hartnagle followed with a free position goal and Benoit scored her first just over a minute later. In all, the Scots scored 10 times in the first half and 12 times before Waynesburg scored once.
- After the Yellow Jackets scored twice within 1:24, Hilley answered with an unassisted goal and an assist on Hartnagle's hat trick. Benoit would add her fourth with three minutes remaining for good measure.
- Four goals ties Olivia Benoit's career-high. It is the fourth time she has tallied that total.
- In addition to outscoring the Yellow Jackets herself, Olivia Benoit gathered four ground balls.
- Courtney Hartnagle had a career-high six draw controls.
- Alma's defense only allowed Waynesburg to take 10 shots in the game.
- The Scots were successful on 12 of 16 clear attempts.
- Alma scored twice on free position shots, both of which came in the second half.
The Scots travel to Franklin College (IN) for a game on Saturday (March 2) beginning at 1:00 p.m.