Adrian, Mich. - The Alma College women's lacrosse team defeated Adrian 15-11 on Wednesday (March 28) evening to open Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association play.
Brianna Soriano (San Diego, Calif. / Serra) scored six goals and Olivia Benoit (Grosse Pointe, Mich. / Grosse Pointe North) and Shelby Frazer (Holt, Mich. / Holt) added four. Freshman Alyssa Gall (Richmond, Mich. / Richmond) also tallied her first career goal.
Allie Ray (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y. / Comsewogue) made 15 saves, tied for her second-most of the season, on 26 shots faced.
How It Happened
- Soriano scored 19 seconds into the game on a free-position goal.
- Adrian scored the next three goals in a 2:20 span.
- Nine more goals were scored in the first half, eight of them by Alma. Soriano scored three, including one with 16 seconds left in the half to give the Scots a 9-4 lead. Frazer scored three of her four goals over this stretch, as well.
- The two teams alternated with a series of goals in the second half. Adrian got to within four goals at both the 20:38 mark and the 5:40 mark, but the Scots had an answer each time. They responded to two consecutive goals by the Bulldogs with three of their own, including from Gall on a free position shot.
- Allie Ray made three straight saves during a 2:26 span to maintain Alma's lead.
- After Adrian scored with a man up to get back to within four, Soriano scored her sixth goal less than a minute later, followed by Benoit's fourth with 2:34 remaining to seal the win
- Allie Ray continues to lead the conference in save percentage. She currently sits at 58.1 percent.
- Brianna Soriano's six goals were one off her career-high.
- Soriano is third in the MIAA in goals with 28; Shelby Frazer is fifth with 22.
- Soriano also had a season-high eight ground balls, two off her career-high.
- Sam DeBoer (Rockford, Mich. / Rockford) had a career- and game-high six draw controls.
- Alma converted 8-of-11 clears in the second half.
Alma has another road game this Friday, March 30, at Saint Mary's. Game time is set for 5:00 p.m.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director