Grand Rapids, Mich. –Senior forward Madeline Barnauskas (Livonia, Mich. / Dearborn Divine Child) scored a game-high and season-high 21 points on seven-of-15 shooting as the Alma College women's basketball team (11-11, 6-7 MIAA) defeated Calvin College, 62-51, on Monday (Feb. 4) at the Knights' Van Noord Arena.
- Both teams looked fresh to start the game despite only having one day off to prepare. Alma had six players score in the opening quarter led by sophomore center Jeny Brandt (Escanaba, Mich. / Escanaba) with three buckets of her own. Sophomore forward Emily Eldridge (Battle Creek, Mich. / Battle Creek Lakeview) was able to grab an offensive rebound in the final seconds of the period and force a foul. Eldridge nailed down both free throws to give the Scots a seven-point advantage heading to the second.
- The second quarter started with a three by the Knights (10-12, 5-8 MIAA) but Barnauskas responded with a triple that was assisted by junior guard Madison Hill (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek). A trey from freshman guard Oretha Humphries (Detroit, Mich. / Detroit Edison Public) pushed the lead to 12 but the Knights would scratch back and Alma held onto a seven-point lead at halftime.
- The third was a lowing scoring period with the Scots and Knights both only scoring single digits for the quarter. Alma was able to hold Calvin to multiple stretches of more than two minutes without a single point during the third.
- With a three-point lead with just over seven and half minutes remaining, Humphries hit a big one from beyond the arc to give the Scots some breathing room. Then a minute later, Barnauskas was clutch from the three to make it a nine-point game. Under four to go, Calvin got within five, but Barnauskas was once again money with a three ball. The Scots held the Knights to only six points the rest of the way as they secured the road victory.
- Barnauskas scored 10 of her 21 points in the fourth quarter. This was the fourth highest scoring night by a Scot this season.
- Humphries tallied 14 points on six-of-12 shooting. In the last three matchups, the freshman is averaging 16 a game.
- Brandt and sophomore forward Charley Hengesbach (Saginaw, Mich. / Nouvel Catholic Central) each grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds. Brandt also scored 10 points for her fifth double-double of the season. The sophomore pair combined for seven blocks in the game.
- Hill dished out a game-high eight assists and added eight rebounds as well.
- This is the first time Alma has beaten Calvin twice in the same season since the 2008-2009 campaign.
What He Said
"So incredibly proud of this team win tonight. That was one of our best defensive efforts from start to finish and we had a lot of people step up when needed. We said at the beginning of the year that nothing would be given to us and we have to go out and earn everything we get this year. We sure earned that one tonight."
-Head Coach Ryan Clark
The Scots get another one-day rest for the next battle. This time Alma heads to Albion College Wednesday (Feb. 6) for a 7:30 tip off with the Britons.