Holland, Mich. – The Alma College women's basketball team dropped one to No. 7 Hope College Wednesday (Jan. 9), 80-51. Senior forward Madeline Barnauskas (Livonia, Mich. / Dearborn Divine Child) scored a team-high 12 points in the loss. Scots fall back to .500 at 8-8 on the season while their MIAA record currently stands at 3-4. The Flying Dutch improve to 13-2 overall and 5-1 in conference.
- The Scots dug themselves into an early 14-2 hole. During the run Alma turned over the ball four times in the matter of just three minutes. The Scots did make a comeback with the help of four three pointers made in the opening frame. Sophomore forward Emily Eldridge (Battle Creek, Mich. / Battle Creek Lakeview) hit two of them. The Scots only trailed by three heading to the second.
- Hope got right back to scoring to start of the second quarter scoring 11 in the first two minutes. Barnauskas hit a triple in the final minute to cut the lead to 10 but the Flying Dutch added two free throws to take a 40-28 advantage heading into the locker room.
- The lead expanded for Hope in the third quarter as the Scots were only able to muster seven points in the period.
- Alma was out of reach as the game drew to a close but they were able to score some big buckets down the stretch. Sophomore forward Jessie Jordan (Williamston, Mich. / Mason) hit back-to-back threes and freshman guard Oretha Humphries (Detroit, Mich. / Detroit Edison Public) nailed a jumper.
- Junior guard Madison Hill (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek) had a game-high five assists. Hill also added six points and a team-high six rebounds.
- The Scots outperformed the Flying Dutch from beyond the arc hitting nine triples. They also finished with a higher percentage from the free throw line.
- Sophomore center Jeny Brandt (Escanaba, Mich. / Escanaba) had season-high five blocks.
- Junior guard Hannah Thelen (Pewamo, Mich. / Pewamo-Westphalia) played in her first game since Nov. 12. Thelen appeared for 19 minutes and recorded three rebounds and two assists.
Alma will look get back on the winning track as they host Albion College Saturday for a 3 p.m. tip off.