Adrian, Mich. – The Alma Scots women's basketball team earned it first conference win of the season with a 54-49 victory on the road over Adrian College. Alma is now 6-3 overall and 1-1 in MIAA play. Adrian drops to 4-4 and 0-2 in conference. Sophomore forward Jeny Brandt (Escanaba, Mich. / Escanaba) had a double-double with a game-high 16 points and 11 rebounds.
- The Scots started off a bit slow offensively with only four points through the first eight minutes until senior forward Madeline Barnauskas (Livonia, Mich. / Dearborn Divine Child) hit a three to cut into the Adrian lead. Alma trailed by as many as eight early in the second quarter.
- A 12-3 run by the Scots would change the momentum of the game. Brandt gave the Scots their first lead at 21-20 since early in the first when she came rushing up court and called for the ball as she headed to the basket. Junior guard Madison Hill (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek) fed Brandt the rock and she put it off the glass and in.
- Alma started the second half with a stop and then freshman guard Oretha Humphries (Detroit, Mich. / Detroit Edison Public) sat at the top of key and found Barnauskas coming off a screen along the wing and the senior nailed the trey to make it 26-24 Scots.
- Sophomore forward Emily Eldridge (Battle Creek, Mich. / Battle Creek Lakeview) took over the game in the latter parts of the third when she scored on three-straight possessions. A 12-5 run to finish the quarter put Alma in solid position heading to the fourth.
- The Scots were able to add to their lead in the opening minute of the final quarter when Hill stole the ball, Humphries drived to the basket and handed it off to sophomore forward Charley Hengesbach (Saginaw, Mich. / Nouvel Catholic Central) who got the bucket. Brand tied her career-high points total when she grabbed her own rebound and made the jumper on the second time around. It was a great response to a 5-0 run by the Bulldogs that had made it a three-point game.
- Eldridge knocked down a long two-point jumper with less than three minutes left to make the score, 50-45. The difference between the two teams would not get any closer from that point on.
- Alma shot 43.4 percent from the floor. Brandt went seven of 10 to lead the Scots.
- Hill led all players with six assists and played in all 40 minutes of the game.
- This matchup featured the top two blockers in the conference with Hengesbach and Adrian's Sha'Trice Graves. Both had four blocks tonight. Graves currently sits at 29 while Hengesbach has 28 on the season.
- The Scots outrebounded the Bulldogs, 47-34, including 12 points off of 10 offensive boards.
- 49 points is the lowest scored by an Alma opponent this season.
What He Said
"So proud of how our team responded after last game. They battled defensively and people stepped up on the offensive end. Road wins are hard to come by and we found a way." - Head Coach Ryan Clark
Alma has another road contest coming up. The Scots head to Olivet College for an MIAA battle with the Comets on Saturday (Dec. 8). Tip off scheduled for 3:00 p.m.