Grand Rapids, Mich. - The Alma College women's basketball team dropped a 59-50 decision to Calvin College on Saturday, Jan. 6. Alma is now 1-12 overall and 0-6 in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association. Calvin is 9-5 and 4-1.
Calvin's Bre Luurtsema scored a game-high 15 points and Ali Spayde scored 13 points in 40 minutes including going 6-of-6 from the free throw line.
- At the end of the first, Alma trailed 11-9, with Long leading the Scots with four of her 12 points, while sophomore Ashtyn Maniez (St. Louis, Mich. / St. Louis) tallied two steals in the first frame.
- Freshman Emily Eldridge (Battle Creek, Mich. / Battle Creek Lakeview) pulled down three of her four rebounds in the second as the Scots trailed 21-18 at the half. The two teams shot a combined 16-of-48 (33 percent) in the first half.
- Madeline Barnauskas (Livonia, Mich. / Dearborn Divine Child) led Alma with seven points on 3-of-4 shooting and one three pointer in the third quarter. A 12-4 run helped Calvin to achieve a 10 point lead by the end of the quarter. The Knights made all eight of their free throw attempts in the frame.
- Eldridge put up six of her nine points in the fourth as Alma scored 18 points, the highest total by the Scots of any quarter. The Scots closed the gap from 19 point with a 12-0 run, but came up short at 59-50.
- Madison Hill (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek) registered six assists in the game. Chloee King dished out five.
- King led the Scots with seven rebounds and four steals. She also sinked two three-pointers.
The Scots host Hope College on Wednesday, Jan. 10. The game will begin at 7:30 p.m.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director