Marion, Ind. - The Alma College track and field team began their outdoor season Saturday afternoon (March 23) at the Polar Bear Invitational at Indiana Wesleyan University.
Athletes from Alma and Albion College made appearances for the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association in today's meet.
How It Happened
- Junior Jacob Wildenhaus (Jackson, Mich. / Lumen Christi) finished the men's 110-meter hurdles event in 15.90 seconds, good for second place.
- Senior Erin Goggins (Hastings, Mich. / Hastings) placed fifth in the pole vault, clearing the bar at 3.05 meters. Goggins also competed in the triple jump event, taking fourth with a 9.15-meter leap.
- Junior Aubrey Hemstreet (Portage, Mich. / Portage Central) ran the 10k meter for the Scots, earning a third-place finish and crossing the finish line at 39:34.95.
- In the men's throw event, Senior Kyle Kraus (Middleville, Mich. / Thornapple-Kellogg) set a new PR with his 41.85-meter throw, finishing in 13th place overall.
- Freshman Bailey Hoffman (Olivet, Mich. / Olivet) competed in the finals of the women's hammer throw event, taking ninth place with a 39.93-meter throw.
- Junior Payton Hirschenberger (Freeland, Mich. / Saginaw Nouvel) set a new personal-best time in the men's 800-meter run when he finished the race in 2:04.63.
They Said It
"It was a great outdoor opener for us. The weather was good and it allowed us to have some breakthroughs. It gave us a lot of confidence. We just need to continue building on that throughout the rest of the season." - Head Coach Matthew Chovanec
The Scots are back in action next Saturday (March 30) at Davenport University for the DU Select Meet. The meet is scheduled to begin at 11:00 a.m.