By Harrison LaLone, Sports Information student assistant
Olivet, Mich. - The Alma College track and field team travelled to Olivet College to face the host Comets, Albion College, and Aquinas College at the Olivet College Quad meet on Friday (April 13).
The women's team finished third, defeating Olivet, while the men's team finished fourth.
- Sophomore John Mitrzyk (Standish, Mich./Standish-Sterling) led the Scots on the day taking home one runner-up finish and two third-place spots. Mitrzyk took second in the long jump and third in both the 100 and 200-meter dashes, earning a new personal-best in the 100-meter.
- Freshman Timothy Minier (Battle Creek, Mich./St. Philip Catholic Central) out-ran Mitrzyk for second place in both the 100 and 200-meter dash events, posting new personal-best times in both events.
- Senior Karen Flesh (Aurora, Ill./Metea Valley) claimed second in the shot put and third in the javelin throw.
- Freshman Charley Hengesbach (Saginaw, Mich./Nouvel Catholic Central) tossed a personal-best 33 meters in discus, good for second place. Hengesbach also finshed just behind Flesh in the shot put.
- Sophomore Payton Hirschenberger (Freeland, Mich./Saginaw Nouvel) posted new personal-bests in both the triple jump and long jump, finishing second and third respectively.
- Sophomore Blaire Showers (Ithaca, Mich./Ithaca) turned in a second-place performance in the 1500-meter run along with a third-place finish in the 800-meter run.
- Sophomore Jacob Wildenhaus (Jackson, Mich./Lumen Christi) hurdled his way to second place in the 110-meter event.
- The men's 4x100-meter relay team of freshman Dion Holloway (Wyoming, Mich./Wyoming), Minier, Wildenhaus, and Hirschenberger claimed second place.
They Said It
"We had some good performances given the week our athletes had in the classroom with final exams on the horizon. It comes down to trusting your training and learning from these meets as we come toward the end of the season." - Head Coach Matt Chovanec
- Thirteen more Scots claimed top-five finishes at the Olivet College Quad meet.
- This is the third time this season where Minier and Mitrzyk have finished back-to-back in both the 100 and 200-meter dash events.
The Alma College track and field team will stand idle next week for final exams, before heading to the Calvin College Tune-Up on Friday, April 27.