Holland, Mich.- The Alma College swimming and diving team wrapped up their season on the final day of the MIAA Championships on Saturday, February 23. The women's team finished in fifth place with 236 points, while the men took sixth with a total of 124 points.
Senior Eric Ferrara (Livonia, Mich. / Stevenson) took seventh place in the men's 1650 freestyle event, finishing the race in 16:38.62 and improving upon his previously set school record (16:47.83) by nearly ten seconds.
- Ferrara also broke the school record in the 1000 free during the 1650 event, reaching the 1000-yard mark at 10:03.93.
- Fellow senior Kate Lehman (Haslett, Mich. / Haslett) took eighth place in the A finals of the women's 200 butterfly race, touching the wall at 2:17.08. Her preliminary race time (2:16.39) was 0.26 seconds off from a new personal best.
- Jennifer Ostrowski (Northville, Mich. / Northville) placed ninth in the consolation finals of the 200 breaststroke race, improving upon her preliminary time and finishing the race in 2:31.53. Haven Westra (Jenison, Mich. / Jenison) also swam in the consolation finals, taking 14th place (2:36.81).
- The women's 400 freestyle relay team of Lehman, Ostrowski, Sarah Gaines (Colorado Springs, Colo. / Liberty), and Paige Thompson (Sister Bay, Wis. / Gibraltar) swam the finals event nearly 18 seconds faster than their preliminary time, finishing their race in 3:48.07 and in fifth place.
- Likewise, the men's relay squad of Ferrara, Will Brown (Spring Lake, Mich. / Spring Lake), Cole Malhoit (Canton, Mich./ Canton), and Leevi Olson (Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. / Sault Area) swam the 400 freestyle in 3:20.31, 37 seconds faster than their qualifying time.
This event concludes the 2018-19 season for the Scots.