Holland, Mich.- The Alma College swimming and diving team continued competition at the MIAA Championships on Thursday, February 21 at the Holland Aquatic Center. Both the men and women are in sixth place with 35 and 80 points each after Thursday night's finals races.
Eric Ferrara (Livonia, Mich. / Stevenson) and Allison Brown (Spring Lake, Mich. / Spring Lake) each set new school records on the day, with Ferrara twice breaking the 500-yard freestyle school record and Brown besting Alma's previous best time in the 100-yard backstroke.
How It Happened
- Ferrara (Livonia, Mich. / Stevenson) took ninth place in the finals of the men's 500-yard freestyle. The senior improved upon his new school record set this morning at the preliminaries by .89 seconds, finishing the race in 4:46.23.
- Freshman Sarah Gaines (Colorado Springs, Colo. / Liberty) set a new personal best with her finals time of 2:17.81 in the 200 individual medley race.
- In the women's 500 freestyle consolation finals, Sydney Louis-Ferdinand (Southfield, Mich. / Birmingham Groves) took 16th place (5:24.10).
- The men's 200 freestyle relay team raced again in the finals, taking sixth with a time of 1:30.75. The women, also in sixth, shaved three seconds off their preliminary time and finished the race in 1:42.57.
- The women's relay team of Kate Lehman (Haslett, Mich. / Haslett), Jennifer Ostrowski (Northville, Mich. / Northville), Brown and Gaines took fifth place in the 400-yard medley race finals (4:08.56). Brown set a new school record leading off the relay, swimming the 100-yard backstroke in 58.85 seconds.
- Both Brown and Ostrowski swam in the 50-yard freestyle finals, finishing the race with times of 25.03 and 26.21, respectively.
The Scots will continue competition at the MIAA Championships, with preliminaries starting at 10 a.m. on Friday, February 22.