Written by Emily Jodway, Sports Information Student Assistant
Alma, Mich.- The Alma College men's and women's swimming and diving team defeated Hiram College by a combined score of 376–120 Saturday afternoon (Oct. 13), their first home-meet win and victory for both the men's and women's teams since January 2013. The women defeated the Terriers by a margin of 214-46, while the men won 162-74. The Scots won 26 out of the 32 events at today's meet, including both relay and diving events.
How It Happened
- Alma's two senior swimmers posted strong showings at the dual meet. Kate Lehman (Haslett, Mich. / Haslett), who currently holds the school record in the 100 butterfly, took first place in the both the 50 and 100-yard fly races, with times of 29.04 and 1:04.85. Eric Ferrara (Livonia, Mich. / Stevenson) picked up wins in a trio of events-the men's 100 (52.55), 500 (5:16.45), and 1000-yard freestyle (11:01.30) races.
- Sophomore Allison Brown (Spring Lake, Mich. / Spring Lake) took first place in the women's 50 (30.13) and 100 (1:06.25) yard backstroke events, as well as the 50 freestyle (27.85).
- Sophomore Max Carey (Highland, Mich. / International Academy West) finished in first in both the men's 50 and 100-yard butterfly events, with times of 26.44 and 58.28, respectively. Lucas Sereno (Oxford, Mich. / Oxford) picked up a pair of wins in both men's backstroke events, swimming the 50 in 27.84 and the 100 in 1:01.04.
- Several freshman swimmers earned their first victories of the season at today's meet. Sarah Gaines (Colorado Springs, Colo. / Liberty) won the women's 100 individual medley (1:10.38) and 200 freestyle (2:10.68) events, while Jennifer Ostrowski (Northville, Mich. / Northville) won both women's breaststroke races (33.94, 1:14.76).
- Freshman Lucas Barnes took first in the men's 50-yard freestyle (24.05), and Will Brown won in the 100 breaststroke race (1:06.92).
- Both men's and women's 200-yard freestyle relay wins went to the Scots. The team of Brown, Ferrara, Barnes, and Matthew Thomas (Griffith, Ind. / Griffith Senior) clocked in at 1:37.40, and
- Ostrowski, Lehman, Gaines, and Paige Thompson (Sister Bay, Wisc. / Gibraltar) finished the race in 1:50.11
They Said It
"We had a phenomenal meet. Our team really came together and put forth a great effort. It was really nice to see the men's team get a victory too." - Head Coach Jason Lintjer
The Scots will travel to Holland for the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association Relays on October 26, hosted by Hope College.