Grand Rapids, Mich. - The Alma College swimming and diving team concluded its season on Saturday, Feb. 24 with the final day of the MIAA Championships. The women's team finished in fourth place, edging out Olivet with 239 points, while the men came in fifth place with 185 points.
Junior Eric Ferrara (Livonia, Mich. / Stevenson) set a new school record in the men's 1650 freestyle with a time of 16:47.83, besting the previous record by four seconds.
- The men's 200 yard free relay team of Ferrara, Nathan Wilburn (Pinckney, Mich. / Pinckney Community), Nick Fuller (Ionia, Mich. / Portland St. Patrick) and Lucas Sereno (Oxford, Mich. / Oxford) posted a time of 1:40.02 to place fifth for the Scots, edging Olivet by nearly one and a half seconds.
- Ferrara also placed eighth in the men's 500 yard freestyle with a time of 4:53.96.
- Sydney Louis-Ferdinand swam the women's 500 yard free in 5:23.70, good for fifth place of the B final.
- Kate Lehman (Haslett, Mich. / Haslett) and Haven Westra (Jenison, Mich. / Jenison) placed fourth and seventh, respectively, in the women's 200 yard IM. Lehman finished in 2:16.32 while Westra came in at 2:24.86.
- Lehman also came in sixth in the women's 200 yard fly event at 2:18.89.
- Sereno, Cole Malhoit (Canton, Mich. / Canton), Max Carey (Highland, Mich. / International Academy West) and Ferrara finished the men's 400 yard medley relay in 3:49.76, good for sixth place.
- The women's team of Allison Brown (Spring Lake, Mich. / Spring Lake), Westra, Lehman and Louis-Ferdinand took fifth place in the same event with a time of 4:11.49.
- Those same four swimmers also finished fifth in the 200 yard medley relay with a time of 1:55.15, performing nearly five total seconds better than their preliminary times.
- Louis-Ferdinand took second place in the B final in the women's 400 yard IM with a time of 5:02.43.
- Carey placed second in the B final of the men's 100 yard fly with a time of 55.52. Lehman did the same in the women's 100 yard fly in 1:00.89.
- Westra placed sixth in the women's 200 yard breaststroke, coming in at 2:32.40. She shaved nearly two seconds off her 100 yard breast time, placing first in the B final with a time of 1:10.57.
- Brown took first in the B final of the women's 100 yard backstroke in 1:00.15. She also came in third in the B final of the 200 yard backstroke with a time of 2:13.54.
This event concludes the 2017-18 season for the Scots.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director