Alma, Mich. - The Alma College swim and dive team hosted fellow MIAA team Hope College on Saturday (Jan. 27) for their first home meet of the season.
The Dutch men's and women's swim teams, ranked third and second in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association, swept the Scots 297-112.
- Freshman Max Carey (Highland, Mich./International Academy West) captured the men's 100 butterfly race with a time of 56.66. Carey also placed third in the 400 individual medley race (4:47.32).
- The Scots took second in in the men's and women's 50 freestyle, with freshman Allison Brown (Spring Lake, Mich./Spring Lake) finishing in 27.79 and sophomore Nathan Wilburn (Pinckney, Mich./Pinckney Community) 24.81.
- Freshman Haven Westra (Jenison, Mich./Jenison) had the top time in the women's 200 breaststroke, finishing the race in 2:38.23.
- In the men's 100 backstroke race, freshman Lucas Sereno (Oxford, Mich./Oxford) finished 1:00.30 to put him in second place.
- Freshman Stephanie Davis (Elmira, Mich./Gaylord) took second in a pair of diving events, scoring 192.25 and 193.50 in the one-meter and three-meter dives, respectively.
- Junior Eric Ferrara (Livonia, Mich./Stevenson) placed second for the second consecutive week in the men's 500 freestyle, ending the race with a time of 5:13.33.
- The team of sophomore Sydney Louis-Ferdinand (Southfield, Mich./Birmingham Groves), freshman Alex Karakuc (Holly, Mich./Holly), Brown, and Westra placed second in the 200-yard medley race (2:00.46).
They Said It
"We had a really mixed bag of results, and a wide range of performances today. One of our best swims by far was Max Carey's 100 fly. Our relays did well, and are in a great spot headed into our last dual meet and the MIAA Championships." - Head Coach Jason Lintjer
The Scots host Albion College next Saturday (Feb. 3) for their last regular season meet, with a Senior Day celebration to recognize the three swimmers graduating in the spring. At the end of February, the team will travel to Grand Rapids for the four-day MIAA Championships.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director