Written by Emily Jodway, Sports Information Student Assistant
Carthage, Wis.- The Alma College swim and dive team finished off the A3 Carthage Classic on Saturday (Dec. 2), participating in the preliminary races in the morning and the final races in the afternoon and evening. The Scots landed in eighth place out of ten teams after three days of events.
Eleven swimmers qualified for the finals on Saturday night, with junior Kate Lehman (Haslett, Mich./Haslett) recording a pair of top-ten finishes. She placed sixth in the women's 400 individual medley (4:59.09) A finals, and tenth in the 200 butterfly (2:23.85).
- Freshman Max Carey (Highland, Mich./International Academy West) raced in the A finals of the 200 butterfly, finishing in tenth place with his time of 2:06.42. In addition, he placed 14th in the 100 individual medley (59.57).
- Freshman Haven Westra (Jenison, Mich./Jenison) posted a 12th-place finish in the B finals of the women's 100 breaststroke race, recording a time of 1:12.26. She also raced in the 100 individual medley, finishing in 21st place.
- Lucas Sereno (Oxford, Mich./Oxford) raced in the B finals of the men's 100 backstroke, finishing in 17th with a race time of 59.30.
- Freshman Allison Brown (Spring Lake, Mich./Spring Lake) finished 13th in the women's 100 backstroke (1:03.98).
- The men's 200 and 400 freestyle relay teams both recorded 13th-place finishes on Saturday evening. Nathan Wilburn (Pinckney, Mich./Pinckney Community), Dylan Gutierrez (Alma, Mich./Alma), Cole Malhoit (Canton, Mich./Canton), and Sereno recorded a time of 1:51.40 in the 200. Eric Ferrara (Livonia, Mich./Stevenson), Wilburn, Carey, and Malhoit finished in 3:30.14 for the 400.
- The women's 200 freestyle relay team of Brown, Lehman, Westra, and Louis-Ferdinand finished in 11th place, recording a time of 1:57.12.
- Lehman landed in the top 20 overall for individual scores at the end of the meet, finishing 14th with 98 points.
- Sophomore Sydney Louis-Ferdinand (Southfield, Mich./Birmingham Groves) posted a new personal best in the 400 individual medley race, landing in 16th with her time of 5:03.76.
- Fellow sophomore Cole Malhoit posted his career fastest time in the 200 butterfly race B finals, finishing in 2:12.34 and 19th place.
They Said It
"We had a solid meet overall. We compete really well, it was nice to see so many season-best times. Overall, I'm very happy with where we're at headed into the second half of the season." - Head Coach Jason Lintjer
This was the last meet for the Scots in the 2017 portion of their season. They will pick back up on Saturday, January 6 for a meet at Olivet College.