by Emily Jodway, Sports Information Student Assistant
Saginaw, Mich.- The Alma College swimming and diving team traveled to Saginaw Valley State University on Friday (Oct. 13) afternoon to open the 2017-18 season against the NCAA Division II Cardinals.
Saginaw Valley State won with a combined score of 306-93, taking first in both the women's and men's team events.
- Sophomore Sydney Louis-Ferdinand (Southfield, Mich./Birmingham Groves) came in second in the women's 500 freestyle with her time of 5:44.49.
- Coming in at a time of 56.50, freshman Max Carey (Highland, Mich./International Academy West) took third in the men's 100 butterfly.
- Junior Kate Lehman (Haslett, Mich./Haslett) place fourth in the 100 butterfly and fifth in the 200 freestyle with times of 1:04.74 and 2:11.80, respectively.
- Freshman Haven Westra (Jenison, Mich./Jenison) finished with a time of 1:14.84 to place third in the 100 breaststroke
- The women placed third in the 200-yard medley relay at 1:59.61, finishing one second behind Saginaw Valley's B relay team.
They Said It
- "We had a decent meet against SVSU. We definitely identified some areas for improvement, but we were solid across the board. Some of the freshmen really stepped up. Most notably, Max Carey had a fantastic 100 fly." – Head Coach Jason Lintjer.
The Scots will travel to the Venema Aquatic Center in Grand Rapids, Mich., on Friday, Oct. 27, for the MIAA Relays. The meet is scheduled for a 6 p.m start.